Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

Pioneer

Accidental employer health coverage and ACA at the same time

I was eligible for employer sponsored health insurance for all of 2015. In 2014 I had marketplace insurance and I didn't cancel it in time so I was covered under both for January of 2015. My marketplace coverage terminated on 1/31/15. I think I need to pay back the subsidy for that one month but I can't figure out how to report that.

After selecting yes for the question "Could anyone in your household have enrolled in another type of insurance that would have covered that person every day of a month they had marketplace insurance?" the software is telling me to use form 8962 but I don't see anywhere to report that I should not have had marketplace coverage in January, just to report what my subsidy was from 1095-A.

Please help!

Associate (Council Member)

Re: Accidental employer health coverage and ACA at the same time

confusion,

Welcome to the Community. You are correct that you will need to repay any advance premium tax credits that you received in January of 2015. Because your situation is slightly complex I think it would be best to contact our Ask-A-Tax Advisor (ATA) team. They will be able to chat with you in real time and discuss your tax issue in depth.  Our ATA team is available 10:00am until 10:00pm CST Monday through Friday and 9:00am until 5:00pm CST Saturday and Sunday.

JerryG

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!
Trusted Pioneer

I had the same problem but did not realize until I received a request for my Form 8962 and my Form 1095-A. The credit was only $245, and I definitely owe it back. How should I respond to the request to make this happen? The letter I received specifically says not to amend my 2017 return and just to send back the requested documents. Do I just not fill out the Form 8962? I've prepared a letter requesting that the IRS deduct the entire $245 from my return, but the request also bars correspondence. What do I do? Not really sure how to fix this. 

Council Member

I'd call the IRS and ask to speak to someone in their Health Insurance department and ask them how you should handle it. If there's a number on your notice, you can call that one.
Kanen

Trusted Pioneer

Thanks! I called the number on the letter I got this morning, but they weren't interested at all in what I was saying. They just kept telling me to file the requested form and that I wouldn't have gotten the advance if I wasn't eligible. It seemed pretty weird considering I was trying to pay more money. I guess I'll just send the form in and see what happens. 

Council Member

That sounds like the thing to do. Fill out the 8962 with the info from the 1095-A and mail them both in.  
Good luck!
Karen