Health Care

Health Care

How do health care reform and taxes connect? The Affordable Care Act is single largest change to the tax code in two decades. Find help navigating the complexities of the new health care legislation, Medicare, Medicaid and other medical deductions.

1095-A partial month coverage

In 2017, i was unemployed for two months.  During this time i had marketplace insurance.  At the end of the second month, insurance from my new employer began.  I called to cancel marketplace insurance, but was informed there is a two week notice required.  However, because My new insurance was with bc/bs IL as was my market place insurance, my partial month fee was waived and i did not have to pay anything.  Now my 1095-a gets here and there is an entry for this waived month, including a tax credit which I never used.  Do i have to enter the information from this third, partial month?

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: 1095-A partial month coverage

If there is information on the 1095-A you get from the Marketplace, then yes, you have to enter the information when

you file your return.   The information you file must match the information the IRS gets from the Marketplace.

Hope this clears this up!

Valued Neighbor

Re: 1095-A partial month coverage

If you believe your 1095-A is wrong, and it sounds like it was, I'd call the marketplace (there's likely a number to call included on the coversheet that came with the 1095-A) and explain the situation to them.  They should investigate it (call BCBS) and will either send you a corrected 1095-A or a letter saying that they're not going to.  You'll need to enter the 1095-A information on your tax return based on what they decide and go from there.