Financial Products

Financial Products

Questions about financial product options? Find discussions around a wide variety of financial service products here. Looking for your first debit card or a seasoned saver looking for tips to build your bank account, this is a great place to share and learn.

Pioneer

emerald advance denial

Today i applied for the emerald advance line of credit like i do every year for christmas shoping with no doubt that i would get the max line of credit consitering i made 45k this year and i have a unearned income credit to claim but to my suprise i was declined due to (06)does not meet the projected income eligibility requirement but i dont see how thats possible makeing 45k this year already? Either the person at h&r block made some type of mistake or its because i didnt use a up to date pay stub i didnt have one with me when i stoped in, it was over 60 days old. Is it possibe to reschedual an appointment with a up to date pay stub (one from my last paycheck) and be approved or did i mess up my chances up useing an old one i had handy in my car when i decided to stop in to h&r block.

Tax Pro

Re: emerald advance denial

Hi zackfultz,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

There are any number of things that could have resulted in you being declined for an Emerald Advance.  It could have been something in your credit, it could have been your refund amount being too small, it could even have been an error made by the tax professional although that's pretty unlikely.  If you already had a bunch of debt on credit cards, mortgages, etc. that could be why your income was too low.  Remember, an Emerald Advance is just like taking out a new credit card.  The decision is influenced by your credit, your income, and your expected tax refund, among other things.

You can try again next year, but once you apply you normally cannot go through the application process a second time.  In fact, a redo has only ever been granted once that I'm aware of, and that was on an occasion where a client's application had items completely left off of it by H&R Block that the office manager knew would change the entire outcome.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

The exact same thing happened to me..They said I didn't make enough money to get an advance on my TAXES!!! I am not the President so I will no skip out on REPAYMENT!! It's insane!! I,too, was wondering if it was a mistake on the part of the person who did my taxes..The person told me they do a credit check now!! WHAT?? for an advance on my own TAXES??!! This is really an insane, cruel way to punish the poor who run this country with our blood, sweat, and tears..IT's almost CHRISTMAS, people! 

Tax Pro

Hi lauraleighangel.

You're correct.  They do run a credit check as part of the decision process and they always have.  The decision is made by the bank that controls the Emerald cards so you would have to ask them what the exact issue was.  If you already have some debt you may not have enough income to meet the bank's requirements.

I am sorry that you were declined, but you're welcome to try again next year.

Pioneer

Is their any other place that would give me an advance on my taxed I really need it for christmas this year and i think since i used a check stub the was 2 months old it consitered my job seasonal and i didnt recieve the denial cod (E) which would be bad credit and my return this year is estimated at $5200 without any of my right offs which include claiming over 40,000 miles and tools and hotels 

Pioneer

My credit is not that great at all. would i be wasting my time going in to try and get an emerald advance?

Tax Pro

Hi sharme0129,

Not necessarily.

Your credit, although it is one of the biggest factors, is one of several things that are taken into account when the bank makes its decision.  Your income and your expected tax refund also play a role.  I have seen people whose credit wasn't all that good get an Emerald Advance on plenty of occasions.  Of course I can't make any guarantees for you either way, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Pioneer

I have always got the emarld advance every year and for some reason was denied. whatever changes hrblock made this year has hurt alot of people and I know that this will cause a lot to go some were else and they should i even have my paycheck added to my emerald card and have for years and have used hrblock for over ten years. People look forward to this to get caught up and notting has changed and you still get denied and all the reply that you see on here from hr block is pretty much to bad try next year that in it self should let people know how they treat there clients.

Tax Pro

Hi psmith,

I am sorry that you were denied.

I wish that I could tell you something other than "please try again next year", however once you apply the application can rarely be reset.  I've only known that to be done on one occasion and it was because of a major input error made by H&R Block.  H&R Block does not make the decision, a third party bank does.  Your tax professional simply inputs the required information into the application.

The most common reasons for denial are (1) it was something in your credit,  (2) you're not showing enough income for what the bank is looking for, and (3) you used a paystub that was not your most recent one triggered the application to report the income as seasonal income.  I can't tell you what the exact reason for your denial was because nobody at H&R Block has access to that information.  You would have to ask the bank.

If you're able to find out what the problem was and correct it then perhaps you could get a refund advance loan in January or February.  You'll be able to apply again then if you would like instead of waiting until next November.

[ Edited ]
I go to my scheduled appointment for the emerald loan we are half way through the process and then I show the H&r block my other pay stub from my current job. He says this won't work we can't do it now. He explained because my pay stub was 33 days old he wasn't going to run my application through the computer. When he was letting me guess the dates for my job I had at the beginning of the year. He said he didn't want to get me in trouble. What!? So I explain to him where I work we don't usually work during the holidays but I'm on unemployment until we go back to work the first week of January. In so many words he pretty much told me to go home get my unemployment award letter and come back next week. I told the employee i would be back today. I go home grab it wait about an hour at the office then he says he will not run it through the computer. Sorry about the typos and misspelling I'm furious. Btw I have been doing my taxes there and getting the advance for years. Now what do I do?!?