Financial Products

Financial Products

Questions about financial product options? Find discussions around a wide variety of financial service products here. Looking for your first debit card or a seasoned saver looking for tips to build your bank account, this is a great place to share and learn.

Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Question concerning Emerald Card withdrawal?

So I was trying to find out if there is somewhere I could go to or if there was any way that I could pull out all of the money on my Emerald Card at one time? I wasn't thinking when I filed my taxes in store and forgot to bring my bank account information so I had to have it put on the Emerald Card. I would like to pull everything off of the card at once and take the cash and deposit it into my checking account. Is there any way that I could do this somewhere? Thanks in advance for any help or tips provided.

Trusted Council Member

Re: Question concerning Emerald Card withdrawal?

[ Edited ]

Hi HoneyVadger,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

To withdraw an amount the size of most early filer's tax refunds all at one time will probably cost you a few dollars no matter where you go.  However, the least expensive place is going to be either the Walmart money center or your local post office.  A great trick for this is to buy a money order made out to yourself for the entire amount on your card.  Since your Emerald card is a prepaid debit card this can be done easily.  At the post office it would probably cost somewhere around $2 to $10 depending on how much your refund is.  Walmart might be a little more but is usually still inexpensive.

The other option available to you is to pull $200 cash back each time you go to a grocery store, a Walmart, etc. until you have withdrawn the entire amount.  This method of withdrawing your funds is free of charge.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Trusted Pioneer

Thank you so much LouisH. That pretty much answered my question and thanks for the quick response as well. I will have to go try Walmart out in the morning and try to get everything off of it.

Pioneer

I need to withdrawl more than $3,500 from my emerald card. How can I do this in on one day? I read the maximum withdrawl per day is $3,500 and I'm buying a car and need more than that withdrawn.
Trusted Council Member

[ Edited ]

Hi CPK2017,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You cannot withdraw that much in one day, but I do have another idea for you.

If you go to either a Walmart money center or your local post office then there's a great trick for getting your money off of the Emerald card.  The trick is to buy a money order made out to yourself for the entire amount on your card or for however much you need and then cash the money order at your bank (the bank will cash it for free if you have an account with them).  You could instead have the money order made out to whomever you're buying the car from if you don't have a bank account.  Since your Emerald card is a prepaid debit card you can buy a money order with it.  At the post office it would probably cost somewhere around $2 to $10 depending on how much you need.  Walmart might be a little more but is usually still inexpensive.

Another option available to you is to pull $200 cash back each time you go to a grocery store, a Walmart, etc. until you have withdrawn the entire amount.  This method of withdrawing your funds is free of charge.

You could also choose to withdraw at an ATM, however there is a fee at most ATMs each time you make a withdrawal and it will likely take several ATM withdrawals to get as much out as you're talking about.

Hopefully this helps you out though.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Ok so I could get $5,000 or more with money orders to myself in one day?
Trusted Council Member

[ Edited ]

CKP2017,

It would actually take you 2 days.  The spending limit is $3,500 per day.  If you were to go and get one money order tonight though you could then turn around and get another one for the rest in the morning so you could still have all of the money by tomorrow.

Another option is withdrawing from ATMs.  The limit on that is $3,000 per day, and it's free to withdraw from CVS and 7-11 ATMs again this year (I just checked on that for someone else).  However as I mentioned before ATMs usually have withdrawal limits of around $200 per day set by their owners so would have to find a lot of ATMs to withdraw what you need.

Louis

Pioneer

CVS is not free. I used a CVS ATM listed on the H&R Block website and it cost me $6 to withdraw cash.

Sooo we baught a money order but was told that it isn't in the system that we have to wait 2 to 3 business day's. We have a car lined up now we are screwed