Financial Products

Financial Products

Questions about financial product options? Find discussions around a wide variety of financial service products here. Looking for your first debit card or a seasoned saver looking for tips to build your bank account, this is a great place to share and learn.

Pioneer

H&R Block e-mail sale phishing

I have been receiving e-mails from H&R Block with enticing sales on their software products. But I am reluctant to click on the link to purchase the product I want because of a bad experience I had with another company where the e-mail I received that I thought was from them actually turned out to be a phishing e-mail from hackers that sent me to a fake site where some malware was downloaded to my previous computer ruining it. I go directly to the H&R Block site to get the product but find no mention there of any sale price for anything. If H&R Block is really having a sale on their tax software products I recommend that they have the sale on their site instead of in links on their e-mail. E-mail links is how hackers trick people into downloading their malware. If H&R Block is really not having a sale on their software products then people need to be aware of this phishing tactic by hackers.

Tax Pro

Re: H&R Block e-mail sale phishing

Hi lanalan,

Welcome to the community.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Please do not click on any links if you're unsure about the email.

H&R Block did offer $10 off of the 2016 software for about a month when it first came out, and that offer is still valid.  If the email is offering a $10 discount it is ligitimate.  You can download the 2016 software here.

I hope this helps you out.

Pioneer

Thanks for responding. I have received several e-mails over the past few months purportedly from H&R Block advertising sales for their software products. The most recent was just this morning and it said that the software was on sale at 30% off and was only good until Dec. 31. Should I report this as a phishing e-mail to someone?

Tax Pro

[ Edited ]

You're welcome.

That particular email may be ligitimate.  $10 off of the basic software is equal to 30%.

However, I will pass along the information you've provided just in case.

If you would like to also report it yourself you're welcome to give client services a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK.

Highlighted

Lanalan,

As Louis mentioned you are prudent to be cautious with any email solicitations you receive. H&R Block does periodically email clients and former clients with offers that may not be available on our web site. Based on my conversation today with our email team it appears you have received a legitimate offer from H&R Block. If you are concerned about a particular email offer you receive you can always phone our client support team at 1-800-HRBLOCK to confirm.

Thank you.

Jillian

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!