Financial Products

Financial Products

Questions about financial product options? Find discussions around a wide variety of financial service products here. Looking for your first debit card or a seasoned saver looking for tips to build your bank account, this is a great place to share and learn.

Pioneer

Denied an Emerald Card...

I just filed my taxes online. I live in Puerto Rico where the requirement for the Emerald Card is to be 21 years old. At the end of the tax return, I was given the option of Emerald Card, Direct Deposit, or check. I selected the Emerald Card and it declined to issue it due to one of the following reasons (paraphrased): 1. Refund being more than 25,000. (N/A) 2. Refund being more than 9,999.00 without a tax liability. (N/A). or 3. Being a resident of Puerto Rico without having reached 21 years of age.

I AM a resident of Puerto Rico and am EXACTLY 21 years old. So, I called customer service and got transfered a billion times with no answer nor ability to apply for the card. Can somebody tell me what I can do to get the Emerald Card?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Denied an Emerald Card...

Hi puertopayne,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Your best bet is going to be to apply for an Emerald card again around Thanksgiving when Emerald Advance starts.

You can try calling support again if you would like, however since you've already done that I can't make any promises.  Usually once you've been declined you have to wait until the next time an advance is offered or the next time you complete your tax return to try again.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)