Financial Products

Financial Products

Questions about financial product options? Find discussions around a wide variety of financial service products here. Looking for your first debit card or a seasoned saver looking for tips to build your bank account, this is a great place to share and learn.

Pioneer

Can't access funds on Emerald Card

I have tried two different ATMs (including one that was listed on HR Block's website for lower fees) and both were declined. I was trying to withdraw $120 - there is almost $500 on the card - and the transaction was declined. I tried to withdraw from checking AND credit card. Nothing worked. What can I do to get my money off this card???

Tax Pro

Re: Can't access funds on Emerald Card

Hi mburge,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

It may just be a temporary issue with the Emerald cards across the board.  It wouldn't be the first time.  I would give it a couple of days and try again.

If you are trying to withdraw funds from outside the United States that is your issue.

You can check your Emerald account online by logging into MyBlock and if there is an issue specifically with your funds then accessing your account should tell you that.

You can also call the customer service phone number on the back of your Emerald card for assistance.

Funds can be withdrawn for free at 7-11 and CVS ATMs.  You can also get cash back for free at any store, and most stores will let you go up to $100 at a time.

Another possibility is that since the Emerald card is a debit card you could stop by a Walmart money center or a post office and purchase a money order made out to yourself which your bank will cash for you for free (most banks will not charge you to cash a check or money order if you have an account with them).  A money order for $120 would cost you $1 at the post office.  Walmart may be $2.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)