Financial Products

Financial Products

Questions about financial product options? Find discussions around a wide variety of financial service products here. Looking for your first debit card or a seasoned saver looking for tips to build your bank account, this is a great place to share and learn.

Can I use contributions to wife's solo 401K (zero profit from biz) to reduce my W2 wages ?

My situation is as follows :

- My wife runs a home business as an interior designer. She is a sole proprietor. Her business has not made any profit this year.  

- I work at a start-up, which went IPO recently. Hence I have substantial earned income. 

My question is : Can I deduct the solo 401K contributions (for my wife's business), from the income earned at my startup job.

We file a joint tax return. So the incomes of my wife and myself are merged as one, right ? Hence the solo 401 K contributions would be deducted, from the combined income. Am I thinking correctly (please correct me if I am wrong) ?

Any guidance would be super helpful ! 

Thanks !
Tax Pro

Re: Can I use contributions to wife's solo 401K (zero profit from biz) to reduce my W2 wages ?

Hi mpithapurwala,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You can contribute to the 401(K) of your spouse so long as your joint income is below the contribution phase-out limit for married taxpayers filing jointly.  Yes, you can deduct your contribution to your wife's retirement account on your Form 1040 if you make the contribution with after-tax dollars.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Re: Can I use contributions to wife's solo 401K (zero profit from biz) to reduce my W2 wages ?

That's fantastic ! Thanks Louis. So, to clarify : 

I can create a "solo 401K" account for my wife, and contribute 18,000 amount. My wife does not earn any profit from her business. Next I simply consider this as a deduction in the 1040 filling, from our total income ?

It does not matter that my wife has not made any income from her solo proprietorship business.

Is this correct ? 

-Mo

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Hi mpithpurwala,

Correct.  It will not matter for the personal/elective contribution & the deduction on the 1040 because we're talking about your spouse on a joint return.  Yes, the deduction will reduce your joint taxable income.

I did leave out one rule, and that is that you would have to be an employee of your spouse to make contributions.  She can't have any other employees to create a solo 401(K) though.

I found some additional information on this topic for you as well:

"The self-employed 401(k) is good for sole proprietorships and partnerships and leaves room for a spouse to join. To qualify, you can't have any employees. If you hire your spouse, you can both contribute $53,000 each per year, and there is no annual paperwork until your account reaches $250,000. When you're 50 or older, you can each contribute $6,500 more per year. Contributions up to $18,000 are tax-deferred (deductible on the 1040 if made with after-tax dollars), and then you can contribute up to 25 percent of business profit-sharing. Funds are available for early withdrawals before age 59½ at a 10 percent penalty or through hardship loans."