Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do It Yourself

peeka

new child tax credit?

My husband and I just had our first child on September 24, 2013. When doing our taxes online at H&R Block, it is saying that we do not qualify for a child tax credit. My husband is not working right now so he has been home with her so we do not  pay for child care. Would that matter for the tax credit? Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

Associate
GaryF

Re: new child tax credit?

Hi, peeka, welcome to the Community and congratulations on the baby.

With your husband at home, you would not qualify for the Child and Dependent Care credit, but you would still qualify for the Child Tax Credit, if your income is enough.  Assuming the baby lived with you since birth (ignoring any hospital stay), make sure you indicate that the child was with you for the entire year.  

jrwyld75

new child tax credit?

[ Edited ]

I am divorced and filing as single. Court documents say I can claim one daughter and my ex-wife can claim our second daughter. It is saying I'm not eligible for claiming her because my income is greater than a specified amount? 

Valued Pioneer
Nangasaurio

Yes, if you earn TOO much, you don't get the credit.

The credit is intended to offset the costs of raising a child on an extremely limited income.

Associate
GaryF

Hi, jrwyld75.

There's no such thing as not being able to claim your daughter as a dependent, but various benefits from claiming her are phased out at various income levels.  The exemptions start being phased out at an adjusted gross income of $254,200 for a single person.     However, the child tax credit starts phasing out at only $75,000, while the earned income credit for a single parent with just one child ends at 37,870.  Also keep in mind that only the custodial parent (defined as the parent with whom the child spends the most nights) can claim the daycare credit or earned income credit, even if the other parent claims the exemption.  

jrwyld75

Gary,

Thank you for your time and advice. 

jrwyld75

rdw
rdw

I dont think you had your child early enough in the year. I think you have to have had the child at least six months into the year. So, next year you can. 

jnowland10

I had twins mid august and was able too claim the both of them no problem. The way I understood every year we file ours is as long as the baby was born before january 1st you could claim them.
OddHours

Be careful here...

You say "There's no such thing as not being able to claim your daughter as a dependent."

Actually in certain situations you are not able to claim your daughter as a dependent.

In addition to all the dependent tests in IRS Publication 17, Chapter 3,  the custodial parent may, under a separation agreement or parenting plan, allow the non-custodial parent to claim the child as their dependent by providing non-custodial parent an IRS Form 8332. This form waives waives the custodial parent's rights to claim a child as a dependent for one or more years.

The non-custodial parent can file this form with their taxes and claim the child as a dependent and claim the dependent exemption and the child tax credit.

The custodial parent cannot claim the child as a dependent, claim the dependent exemption, or the child tax credit for that child but they can still use the child as a qualfying child to file as "Head of Household" and claim the child care tax credit and earned income tax credit assuming they meet the other tests for those credits.