Do It Yourself

Reese1
Accepted Solution

Submission ID Number vs Declaration Control Number (DCN)

Is the submission ID number the same thing as the Declaration Control Number?  In previous years of using the H&R Block software I specifically remember getting a DCN.  Now all I see is a "Submission ID Number". Am I done with my return or are there more steps that I need to take for the DCN to appear?  My return was accepted by the federal and state last week but I got an email from H&R Block telling me there are a few more steps "AFTER" checking the status of my return which I already have done. But even after checking the status I still do not see a DCN, just a Submission ID number.  Is the submission ID the same thing as last years DCN?

Associate
MAMS

Re: Submission ID Number vs Declaration Control Number (DCN)

In the last couple of years the IRS has changed over from its older e-file system, to a modernized e-file system (MEF)  The old system generated a DCN number, while the new system gives a Submission ID number.  As long as your return is accepted by the IRS and state system they are basically the same thing.  If your return had rejected and you had to make a correction and resend, you would have received a new submission ID number.  Hope this helps! 

Reese1

Re: Submission ID Number vs Declaration Control Number (DCN)

It absolutely helped. Thank you very much!