Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do It Yourself

ClaireDavis

Non Business Bad Debt

How do I deduct a Non Business Bad Debt on my 2013 Income Tax Return? I am using Deluxe version online and I don't think it will work for this because i cant find anything on this topic.

afm
afm

Re: Non Business Bad Debt

I have some issue. any body out there can answer?

afm
afm

Add: When you have non-business bad debt, it requires you to attach information of bad debt to e-file. How would you do that?

Community Manager
JerryG

afm,

Welcome to the Community. I was able to track down some feedback through our digital product team. We do support this scenario – Just use the stock sales topic and select the transaction type “nonbusiness bad debt”. Then, follow the prompts. 

The interview asks for the information and the program attaches it to the return automatically.

I hope this helps.

JerryG

gojomo

I'd like to use At Home 2012 Premium to amend my 2012 return to report a worthless nonbusiness bad debt. I've launched it on my old return and tried. However, I can't find anything in the 'investments' area that lets me choose "nonbusiness bad debt" as a transaction type. I've tried following a few options that imply bond/debt-instrument - but it's definitely not prompting for the sorts of "bad debt statement" information that IRS publication 550 implies must be attached to form 8949. Can you be more specific about the steps to trigger this option? (Also concerning: non of the FAQ/tab-help/help-center links or buttons currently open any other info - they're no-ops.)