Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do It Yourself

schwartz68

Form 8379 - Injured Spouse Claim and Allocation

I have already filed my taxes and I just became aware that I was supposed to file Form 8379 - Injured Spouse Claim and Allocation with my taxes. If I go to a HR place will they be able to file a form for me.

Associate
astromath

Re: Form 8379 - Injured Spouse Claim and Allocation

Quick answer is yes.  But you will have to mail it yourself.  This form cannot be efiled by itself.  It is also generally recommended that you file a state version of the form assuming the state has such a form.  Of course, you can ignore that last sentence if you live in a state that has no state tax.

M. St. Thoms

Sr. Tax Advisor V

Cortana

Hi, where in the H&R Block software do you add 8379 to efile with your return?  I read to follow the sequence #, which is 104, but I have no idea how to get here.

Any clear concise insructions on this process would be greatly appreciated by this family.

Thanks!

Associate
CindyK13

I need to add to astromath's solution.  If you live in OH, the state will send you a form 8379 if they will be taking your refund for something your spouse owes.  No one has access to the form without the state sending you one!

Cindy Kowalski
Senior Tax Advisor 5
22 years experience
Cortana

Hi, thank you for a reply, however nobody seems to state how you add the form electronically.  I have the form filled out, and I want to add it to my return pior to sending it to the IRS via efile.  We know that it can be done, but how and where do you add it?

Associate
CindyK13

I am not familiar with the programs to file electronically so all I can do is suggest you see if the program you are using has the form available.  Sorry I could not help more!

Cindy Kowalski
Senior Tax Advisor 5
22 years experience
m1312

Go to the form tab in the program and look for Form 8379. make sure you click to look at all forms to find it. Then it will open the form and have filled in your info is some spots

qmanflash

I filed electronically this year, and then filed the 8379 later. If you do not file the 8379 with the initial filing, and your electronic form has already been accepted, then you cannot go back and file the 8379 electronically. You will have to mail yours in like I did. Now that I know that you can file the 8379 electronically, I will do so next year. At least that way, you don't worry about it being lost in the mail.

QmanFlash