DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-09-2017

need to file 2006 tax return

 caif. state tax board lien and took funds from my bank. forced to file 2006 with D-540 was not required to file till now that they have my money. do to a mistake on requirements the broker has to report on 1099 need help, software, and way to put 234 stock trades on to form is must.

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: need to file 2006 tax return

[ Edited ]

Hi bigsnow,



Welcome to the H&R Block community.


2006 has long since expired as far as being able to file for a refund goes.  You have 3 years from the original due date of the return to file for a refund at the federal level, and the state rules vary but most states tend to follow federal.  So you won't get any money back by filing the tax return.


You can still file the return, however most software providers, including H&R Block, go back 10 years at the most.  H&R Block downloadable software goes back to 2008 with the most current version being the upcoming 2017 software.


You can visit an H&R Block office if you would like and perhaps they will still have software for 2006 on the office computers that they can use to prepare the return for you.  If going to an office doesn't work you will have to fill out your tax return by hand and mail it to the state in order to file it.