DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

import last year's files, new computer, won't import

[ Edited ]

I can't get a warm body on the phone, nor can I find anyone in chat. 

I was using H&R Block Business last year.  My old computer is dying, so I got a new one, and copied files over.   My 2016 Business version doesn't see the files.  Which folder do they need to live in for me to get them to import?  

Pioneer

Re: import last year's files, new computer, won't import

Was this question ever answered? It has been a month since it was asked. I having the same problem.

Pioneer

I feel exactly as you bigskyflutterby.  Was there ever an answer to this question?

Pioneer

I just wanted to post a quick comment.  Someone finally answered the call after a long wait.  It was worth as I got my answer.  I was in the H&R Business product instead of the Individual component of the product.  It was the reason it didn't see b .t15 files.

Associate (Pioneer)

If you are trying to import the tax file from last year's H&R Block Business program into this year's H&R Block Business program, you must have last year's H&R Block Business program installed on your current computer along with the backup file (.ATX file).

After installing the H&R Block Business program onto your new computer follow these steps to restore the prior-year backup file:

1. Open H&R Block Business.
  2. Select the File menu in the top left corner of the screen. 
  3. Click Restore Return.
  4. Locate and select the ATX file.
  5. With the backed up file open, click File and Save to save the return to the new computer. 

Now we can import the file into the current year program by following these steps:

1. Open H&R Block Business.

2. From the File menu, choose Import Last Year's Tax Data

3. Choose the correct option:

• For example: To import from a 2015 return, choose the 2015 Returns tab at the very bottom of the window.
  • To import from a prior period, choose the Last Month / Quarter tab at the very bottom of the window.

4. Check the return name, and click Next.

If you no longer have a copy of the prior-year Business Program, please reach out to the DIY Support team at 1-800-HRBLOCK and they will be able to assist you.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO