DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: how do I e file form 4868

Hi RAYAJORDAN453 - 

Welcome to the H&R Block Community! 

The steps to complete Form 4868 using our product vary dependent on which product type you are using. 

If you're preparing your return online at our website (with an account that requires you to log in with a username/password), follow these steps: 

1. Log in to your account.
  2. On the Overview tab, look for File an Extension in the Tax Filing Resources section at the bottom of this page. 
  3. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete Form 4868 (Extension).

If you're preparing your return with desktop software that you have downloaded and installed to your computer, follow these steps: 

1. Open the software.
  2. If this is a new return and you are at the My Taxes screen, click the green File an Extension button. If not, skip this step.
  3. If you have already started your return, select the return by clicking Open return. 
  4. Click the Welcome tab and then Extension below the Welcome tab. 
  5. Select Federal Extension, and click Next. 
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete Form 4868 (Extension). 

If you need to complete a state return, most states grant you an automatic extension of time to file when you complete federal Form 4868. If any additional forms are required for your state, the program will provide instructions as you complete the process. 

Thanks,

Rachael 

H&R Block Associate

This isn't working.  The Overview tab does not show an option to File an Extension.  Please help.

Highlighted
Associate (Pioneer)

Hi benjaminhickman - 

I've sent you a private message for additional information. Please respond and I'll look into your issue for further instructions. 

Thanks,

Rachael 

H&R Block Associate