DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

desktop software not allowing me to claim my daughter as a dependent

I am trying to prepare my return, and the software will not allow me to claim my 8 year old daughter that lives with me 100% of the time as a dependent.  I am filing as head of household for the 1st time, is this due to this?

Tax Pro

Re: desktop software not allowing me to claim my daughter as a dependent

Hi lava,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

This is probably just because you marked something incorrectly in the software.  I would go back through and check all of your entries.  Make sure that you entered your daughter's birthdate correctly.

The only reason that you wouldn't be able to claim your daughter given the information you provided is if you yourself are the dependent of another taxpayer.  If, for example, you and your daughter live with your parents and your parents claimed you then they also would claim your daughter.  You cannot claim dependents if you are a dependent.

A dependent qualifies you for the head of household filing status, so that's not the problem.  If you go back through and you can't figure out what the issue is, please let me know.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)