DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-29-2016
Accepted Solution

Why cant my daughet efile?

[ Edited ]

My dd wasnt able to efile last year. I thought she would be able to efile this year. She turned 18 in December, but it wont allow. What are the rules for being able to efile?

Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎01-08-2018

Re: Why cant my daughet efile?

Hello MightyMe,


Welcome to H&R Block Community.


According to the IRS on returns not eligible for IRS E-file, "the following individual income tax returns and related return conditions cannot be processed using IRS e-file:

- Tax returns with fiscal year tax periods;

- Amended tax returns;

- Returns containing forms or schedules that cannot be processed by IRS e-file;

- Tax returns with Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) within the range of 900-00-0000 through 999-99-9999. Exception: Adoption Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ATIN) and Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) may fall within the range above. Valid ATINs contain the digits 93 in the fourth and fifth positions. Valid ITINs contain digits within a range of 70 through 88, 90 through 92 and 94 through 99 in the fourth and fifth digits...and

- The IRS cannot electronically process tax returns with rare or unusual processing conditions or that exceed the specifications for returns allowable in IRS e-file. These conditions change from year to year."


What might have happened on your daughter's return is that there is a certain form or schedule that cannot be be processed by IRS e-file. Therefore, your daughter's return must be paper-filed in that case.


If you wish to speak with the IRS on what forms that are not supported for e-file, they can be reached at 1 (800) 829-1040.


If you wish to speak with product support, they can be reached by one of the following:

- For telephone support, call 1 (855) 897-8639

- For support via our online chat system, follow the steps in this link:





Tax Research Specialist