DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Esteemed Pioneer

What file name(s) stores my tax return so I can shred it without having to uninstall the program?

[ Edited ]

I  finished my returns and want to save an electronic copy to a USB flash drive. It seems that I'll need to select the option to save my filed return to a pdf by running the pdf995 set up executable within the H&R Block program. Once the return has been saved in pdf format, it will give me the ability to make a copy to a thumb drive. 

I don't want to keep any record of my tax data on my hard drive. So without having to completely uninstall the H&R Block program, what are the names of the files / folders that the program created in order to keep my tax files stored of my hard drive? The PDF995 folder under Program Files holds about 11 files. But what about other folders with files of my return that were saved in the program ? I remember the H&R Block CD program used to create what I recall a .T10 file or something similar. The issue is on the 2017 H&R Block Deluxe CD, I can't find any file named as such.    

I'm not at all concerned I will be deleting all records that would be used to bring over personal information from 2017 in order to start next years return. I just want to delete all sensitive data after my return is stored to a USB flash drive.  

Highlighted

Re: What file name(s) stores my tax return so I can shred it without having to uninstall the program

Luanne6,

Welcome to the Community. This article might help answer your question. https://community.hrblock.com/t5/Community-Library/Where-do-I-find-the-data-files-to-transfer-them-t...

Regards, Harold

Esteemed Pioneer

Re: What file name(s) stores my tax return so I can shred it without having to uninstall the program

Thanks for clarifying what the file name is called. I had to use file explorer to search for the .t17 file name in Windows 10.. the Cortana search bar only locates the H&R Block program using the search method outlined. Since you didn't mention any other file name, the .t17 file must be the only H&R Block file with sensitive data. .. Or are other there files? [P.S] I did not create a backup copy to save my return to my hard drive again within H&R Block Deluxe CD