DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

W-2 Box 12 - Excess Retirement Contribution

Software says I have excess contributions.  My wife has $18,000 and I have $8,000.  software says I have $8 in excess retirement contribution.  Why?  I file married filing jointly so shouldn't this limit be $36k?

Pioneer

Re: W-2 Box 12 - Excess Retirement Contribution

The H&R Block tax software is saying the $8k in excess contributions is considered a taxable wage as a salary deferral.  I only contributed $8k to my employer's retirement plan and my wife contributed $18k to her employer retirement plan.  We file jointly.  I don't understand why my contribution is taxable. Can anyone help? 

Highlighted
Pioneer

Re: W-2 Box 12 - Excess Retirement Contribution

I got the similar problem when importing PDF W-2s. The software put my name and my wife's on employers. When I corrected names, I did not realize that both are under my income. Checking your wife's W-2 under her income will fix it.