DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-05-2017

Using H&R block 2016 software to estimate 2917 tax for self employed starting July

I started a consulting job in July 2016 and I'm trying to use my 2016 version of H&R block software to fill out the 1040-es form (the vouchers).  The problem is that the software wants to create vouchers for each quarter rather than the last two quarters of the year.  I've brought up the 1040-es form but it doesn't allow me to override the payments in the vouchers.  How do I force the software to allow me to enter the correct payments or tell it which quarter the income started?

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Using H&R block 2016 software to estimate 2917 tax for self employed starting July

Hi klbcolt,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


If you did not owe tax for 2016 then you do not need to make payments for 2017 because you qualify for the exception to the requirement.  If you qualify for the exception then you can set-up estimated payments when you complete your next return if you need to make them for 2018.


You are required to make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe $1,000 or more for the year and you do not qualify for the exception that I just described.


If you are required to make payments then what the software is doing is it's calculating the payments as 90% of your expected tax due overall for the year divided by four, which is exactly what it should be doing.  You are welcome to call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK to see if they can help you figure out a way to put all of your payment amounts on the September and January due dates instead of having four payments (I'm not sure if you can do that or not in the software but a software support agent will know).  The other option would be to fill out the payment vouchers by hand (you can find a printable blank Form 1040-ES on the IRS website by typing "1040-ES" into the search box at the top of the IRS homepage).


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)