DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Unable to find "Marketplace Insurance - Unique Situations" on online version

Hello,

For 10 months in 2016 I was on my parents healtcare (acquired from the marketplace), and they are not claiming me as a dependant. However, I still appear on their 1095-A. The online version of the H&R Block Tax software has this note:

If someone's on your 1095-A who's not in your household, you might need a shared policy allocation.

Which directs me to click the Affordable Care Act (ACA) tab at the top of the page and click next until I arrive at a page that allows me to select "Marketplace Insurance - Unique Situations". I cannot find this section. I have spent a long time looking and simply cannot find it. Someone PLEASE tell me how to get to this section.

Thank you,

Kyle

Tax Pro

Re: Unable to find "Marketplace Insurance - Unique Situations" on online version

[ Edited ]

Hi dekyle,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You can be claimed as a dependent if:

• you were in college full time
  • you lived at home except for temporary absences for school
  • you were under age 24 at the end of the year
  • you provided less than 50% of your own support)
  • you did not file a joint return with another taxpayer

If you meet the criteria above then you must indicate on your tax return by checking the appropriate box that you can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer whether or not you are claimed.  This will remove the requirement for you to file a Form 1095-A.

If you are ineligible to be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer then you will need a copy of the 1095-A with your information on it and you'll need to completed a shared policy allocation calculation for taxpayers who are on the same policy but not on the same tax return.  If you would like I'd be willing to make the calculations for you if necessary so that you won't need to find that section of the marketplace website, but I would need a line-by-line read-out of your Form 1095-A for all insured individuals.

If you can be claimed it might be to both your advantage and your parents' advantage.  Your parents may receive earned income credit and they'll get an extra exemption from claiming you both of which will help them a lot when it comes to reducing their tax liability.  If you qualify for an education credit your parents would also claim that for you.  The non-refundable part of the education credit will probably do more for them then it will for you because they will have more tax liability, however most parents give the $1,000 refundable part of the AOC education credit to their kids to them out with college expenses so there's something in it for you as well.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Re: Unable to find "Marketplace Insurance - Unique Situations" on online version

This isn't quite what I was asking. I'm not trying to navigate to a location on the Marketplace website but rather in the H&R block website -- where I'm doing my taxes.

The full message reads:

"To tell us about a shared policy allocation, click Affordable Care Act (ACA) at the top of the page. Then, click Next until you get to the Marketplace Insurance - Unique Situations screen. Here you'll answer the question "did you share your marketplace policy with someone who's not on your taxes?" with a "yes"."

So I click on the Affordable Care Act tab at the top of the page. And I keep pressing next. But after trying what seems like every button, I cannot find the the "Marketplace Insurance - Unique Situations" screen. I'm looking for that screen on H&R Blocks online filing system.

Can you tell me how to access it?

Associate (Pioneer)

Hello dekyle,

The updated name of the screen you are looking for is "Let's help you claim the largest premium tax credit you're entitled to."  On that screen is a question "Did you share your marketplace policy with someone who's not on your taxes?"

I hope this helps.

Pioneer

I only found it by checking "yes" to this:

However, an exception might apply.

Are you – or is any household member who’s enrolled in marketplace insurance – an alien lawfully present in the U.S. and not eligible for Medicaid?

Yes

No

Then it tells me that I will have to pay extra to have a "tax pro" do it for me. I'm very unhappy since I already paid $80 to file using premium, and now I'm being told that I have to pay another $80 to have a "tax pro" do it for me. My family has been using H and R block for years, but not anymore...