DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Two W2s - Live in NJ, work in NYC (one employer)

For all of 2014 I worked in NYC and lived in NJ.  I understand that I will have to file a non-resident form for NY first, then resident form for NJ second.  HR Block does not prompt for NJ.  I don't want to file Federal or NY without knowing that NJ will come next.

Second, I have two W2s from the same employer.  NJ has most of the boxes complete including wages, federal income tax witheld, social security, 12a-b, etc.  I entered the data from this W2 first.  My 2nd W2 from the same employer lists NY and most of the boxes are empty aside from 15-17 which is state, state wages, and state income tax.  Because I'm not entering box 1 for my wages when adding a 2nd W2, it brings up red alerts and states that I can't file federal electronically.  I don't think I should be entering box 1 twice, as it would be like being taxed on double my income.

Anyone have any tips?  I'm deleting my information and starting over so any helpful tips would be appreciated!  So far my federal is in line with what I paid last year, the states are just odd.  I can't imagine I'm the only one in this scenario who needs help! Smiley Happy

Pioneer

Re: Two W2s - Live in NJ, work in NYC (one employer)

bump...

Associate (Neighbor)

galileo,

Sorry you are having so much trouble.  Have you tried this, enter the info from the W-2 that has blocks 1,2,3 etc. and when you get to the state information are you able to enter 2 states?  Enter NJ wages and withholding, if any, then try to enter a second state on the same form.  Enter NY wages and withholding and see it that works.  Also remember to take credit in NJ for taxes paid to NY.

Good Luck!

c3
Pioneer

I have the same problem and have done all that but form NJ1040 keeps adding the NJ and NY amounts (doubling the income rather than showing the amount that is applicable to NJ).  NJ Schedule A (allocation of the income) shows the correct amounts allocated to each state but NJ 1040 still doubles it.  What do i do?

Pioneer

I also have the same problem while filing the 2016 taxes on HR BLOCK. I had the same problem last year too and eventually had to go to tax consultant.

could anybody be able to resolve this issue? 

HR Block -- where are you????

Highlighted

pavnesh,

Welcome to the Community. I would recommend you contact our client support team to assist. They can be reached at 1-800-HRBLOCK.