DIY Products

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-02-2014

State Income Tax Deduction

How do I (or can I) deduct additional state income tax paid in 2013 for my 2012 taxes?


For example, if I had $100 witheld in 2012 on my W-2 for state taxes but I owed $120 and then I paid the additional $20 in 2013 -- can I deduct that extra $20 paid in 2013 on my federal taxes?  If so, how?


I need to enter it so it is deducted from my federal taxes but not counted toward my state taxes for 2013.  How do I do that with HR Block's system?