DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Re: Rejection Code: 32-FD-F1040-402-01

Thanks Howard.

So, if we cannot e-file because of this bug, before we print to mail our returns, do we need to do the manual override suggested by another user: (the software) ‘does not fill the "wage literal codes" in 1040 line 7 - there should be an income code "FEC" + the income amount filled on the dotted line in line 7?

Please advise how I can get a refund for the software.  I note I am currently living overseas and the only reason I purchased this software was the ability to e-file.  Now not only am I likely subject to late fees (because after spending days going through my return trying to find these unknown errors it is now past Apr 15) but I now also have a big express mailing cost to file my taxes.

How is this scenario addressed in the HRBlock guarantee?

Prompt response appreciated.

Pioneer

Hi,

Thanks to all of you who have spent time researching, calling & writing about this issue.

I too have encountered this error code for my daughter's return.  She also has foreign earned income on her return. 

She also had foreign income on last year's return, but she was able to e-file  successfully last year.

Which brings me to the question - is the requirement that "FEC" appear on the dotted line of line 7 a new requirement for 2016?  That would seem to be the case, since last year she e-filed successfully & there was no "FEC" on line 7 last year.

Anyway, I'm loading paper in the printer to print the return...

Pioneer

OK, I am getting this error midday on 4/18 and to see that they choose to not fix it is enough to make me abandon HR Block after YEARS of use of their software.

Sure, it is my fault for completing the return so late.  But as this was a choice made by Block, I will also make a choice to try different software next year.

Pioneer

In the past I have filed and entered the foreign wage income as a "non-standard" W2s and was able to efile that.

Last year I used the H&R software and entered the wage information as "Other wage-type income not already entered - Earned income not reported on a W-2 or Form 1099-R", but I couldn't e-file because I had to override the tax calculation because the foreign income exclusion made the taxes too complicated for the software to calculate.

This year when I filed with data entered as "Wages paid by a foreign employer - Not on a W-2" I got the IRS Rejection Code: 32-FD-F1040-402-01, so instead I entered the foreign wages (in US Dollars) into "Other wage-type income not already entered - Earned income not reported on a W-2 or Form 1099-R" and the efiling was accepted.

Perhaps it would also have worked to enter the foreign wage income as "non-standard" W2s, but I thought that might fail since the employer doesn't have EIN information and maybe "non-standard" W2s get rejected for efiling these days.

In any case, I am not too concerned about the IRS complaining - they got the correct wage data, and I am glad I don't have to print this sucker out and mail it off. This does seem like something that should have been fixed in the software however.

Pioneer

DID THE SAME AS SUGGESTED, PENDING FOR THREE DAYS. NO REJECTION. NO ACCEPTANCE. MYSTERY. HRBLOCK!!!

Pioneer

Hello.

So I had this error before as well, and made some adjustments and resent and it was accepted by the IRS. However my problem now is that I have my foreign income statement from my employer in Japan, that I wasn't able to upload into the deluxe program software, so I have submitted a return with foreign income information, yet no statement attached to prove these numbers. I cannot get to a live chat, I keep getting redirected. And I do not want to talk to someone from India. What are my options to get this form to the IRS so I do not get audited? Thanks.

Tax Pro

Hi Rakuei,

You actually do not need to send a copy of your income record to the IRS unless they request one.  If you claimed the foreign earned income exclusion then Form 2555 is sufficient by itself.  If the IRS does request a copy of your documentation for verification though then the request will be made by mail and they will include the address to send the information to in your letter.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

[ Edited ]

jebeda wrote:

In the past I have filed and entered the foreign wage income as a "non-standard" W2s and was able to efile that.

Last year I used the H&R software and entered the wage information as "Other wage-type income not already entered - Earned income not reported on a W-2 or Form 1099-R", but I couldn't e-file because I had to override the tax calculation because the foreign income exclusion made the taxes too complicated for the software to calculate.

This year when I filed with data entered as "Wages paid by a foreign employer - Not on a W-2" I got the IRS Rejection Code: 32-FD-F1040-402-01, so instead I entered the foreign wages (in US Dollars) into "Other wage-type income not already entered - Earned income not reported on a W-2 or Form 1099-R" and the efiling was accepted.

Perhaps it would also have worked to enter the foreign wage income as "non-standard" W2s, but I thought that might fail since the employer doesn't have EIN information and maybe "non-standard" W2s get rejected for efiling these days.

In any case, I am not too concerned about the IRS complaining - they got the correct wage data, and I am glad I don't have to print this sucker out and mail it off. This does seem like something that should have been fixed in the software however.

Thanks for the tip. Same way worked for me and got my efile accepted.

I had the exact same FEI last year and did not have problem but 2016 return had efile rejected when I declared income as Foreign Income.

I removed 'Foreign Income' and included 'Income not reported by W2' and 'FEI Exclusion' as usual, and got Efile accepted. 

Customer service was useless as reported and suggested tthat I should have non-zero pension whn reporting FEI.