DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

Rejection Code: 32-FD-F1040-402-01

I have checked forms for special characters or other issues.  What does this error code actually mean? 

Pioneer

Re: Rejection Code: 32-FD-F1040-402-01

I called H&R and I was told that there is a problem with line 16b of my 1040 form, "it cannot be zero".

I looked for the rejection code on the web (F1040-402-01) and found the following explanation:

F1040-402-01 If [FEC Record] is present in the return, then in [WagesNotShownSchedule], there must be at least one 'WagesLiteralCd' that has the value "FEC" or Form 1040, Line 16b 'ForeignEmployerPensionCd' must have the value "FEP" or Form 1040, Line 16b 'TaxableForeignPensionsTotalAmt' must have a non-zero value.

I think there is a problem with the software. I have Foreign Income [FEC] but the software lumped it into line 7 of form 1040. It should be on line 16b, from what I understand from the explanation of the rejection code. How do I raise a bug request?

Pioneer

I'm having this same problem. I also have foreign income, so it sounds like that's part of the problem, but I'm not seeing anything about 16b, which seems to be the line for pensions and annuities. 

I'm hoping this is a simple bug with the H&R software, and they'll fix it soon.

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I have the same rejection code. In my opinion it is NOT caused by the 16b field - I also have FEC but no pensions at all, so this field should be zero, the hotline is giving wrong tips for people with no pensions.

IMO there is a bug in the program that does not fill the "wage literal codes" in 1040 line 7 - there should be an income code "FEC" + the income amount filled on the dotted line in line 7 (the calculated field with the sum on the far right is ok). If you see the raw form 1040, it has grayed out boxes for this purpose, but the software is not filling it. You can override the line but you will not be able to efile so no point in doing that.

This is the rule, formatted for better readability:

If [FEC Record] is present in the return, then either:

1. in [WagesNotShownSchedule], there must be at least one 'WagesLiteralCd' that has the value "FEC" (MISSING!)

2. or Form 1040, Line 16b 'ForeignEmployerPensionCd' must have the value "FEP" (NOPE, NO PENSIONS!)

3. or Form 1040, Line 16b 'TaxableForeignPensionsTotalAmt' must have a non-zero value. (NOPE, NO PENSIONS!)

Could some H&R software rep please respond?

Valued Pioneer

I'm seeing the same rejection code. I have called the h&r block hotline and they said it's because 1040 field 16b is empty (zero) which in my case is a valid number (I have Foreign Employee Compansation but no pensions (foreign/US). So the hotline in my case is giving an incorrect answer.

This is the code explanation:

If [FEC Record] is present in the return, then either:

1. in [WagesNotShownSchedule], there must be at least one 'WagesLiteralCd' that has the value "FEC"

2. or Form 1040, Line 16b 'ForeignEmployerPensionCd' must have the value "FEP"

3. or Form 1040, Line 16b 'TaxableForeignPensionsTotalAmt' must have a non-zero value.

Hotline is suggesting only issues with #2 and #3, but the real issue is #1 - there is "FEC" code and FEC amount missing from the 1040 line 7 "wage literal codes" (the calculated sum is ok), the wage code and amount needs to be added to the "dotted line" next to the sum.

H&R rep please respond as it seems as a software bug.

Pioneer

Has anyone found a solution to this Rejection code? I have called H&R Block and the IRS! Help! 

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I spoke with the customer service twice and they give the wrong advice all the time, even though I quote the error code from the IRS website. Then I had a online chat with their rep and got redirected twice - tier1, tier 2, and now tier 3 customer service - and did not find the resolution, they will not admit bug in their software, still claming that my "pensions" field is wrong...

Now I have a "case" started in their system (with case number) and I wait for thair reply as finally they are checking offline what's wrong. I assume they will tell me to "file on paper", as "I must have filled the questionaire incorrectly", but this was not the purpose why I bought federal/state efile... 

Valued Pioneer

Ok update - from my understanding from recent (tier 3) customer support chat this is a software bug and will be fixed in the 2017 version next year. This year we need to file on paper.

H&R block rep - please correct me if I'm wrong.

grakkpl,

You are correct. I reached out to a member of the digital products team this morning and was told the same thing you just posted:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but this year you will have to print and mail your return in order to file your taxes. However, we do want to reassure you that while you can’t e-file this year, your income is being accurately reported on your 1040 and you shouldn’t experience any issues with the IRS related to this matter."

I wish I had better news to report.

Harold

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer

So let me summarize - HR Block knows this is a problem and they know what the problem is, but they choose not to fix it this year leaving those of us who encounter this issue without an e-filing option.  Can I get a refund and redo my taxes with TurboTax?

I need to file electronically in order to apply for student aid this year.  Filing paper will slow that process down tremendously.  Especially after wasting time trying to solve HR Block's software issue...