DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Rejected state return

Hi Cinnamon,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

This sounds like it is an error that you cannot fix by correcting your address, or rather if it's a technical error with the New York zip codes or something like that, so you will need to print and mail your tax return to the New York Department of Taxation.

Although New York prefers e-file, you are allowed to mail your tax return to them when you are not able to e-file.  If you need the mailing addresses let me know and I'll get them for you.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

I needed to amend my 2016 NY State tax return. When I E-file the amended return I get an error message 30-ANY-61002 which is a server error. I have tried twice and no luck. NY requires you to E-file if you use tax preparation software.

Any suggestions?

Tax Pro

Hi jbentsom,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You actually are not required to e-file in New York 100% of the time regardless of your filing method.  If you are not able to e-file you are allowed to mail your tax return to the NY department of taxation and I can get you the addresses for New York if you would like.

Also, amended returns cannot be e-filed.  They must be mailed to the IRS and/or state department of taxation along with any forms that were changed or added to the return, so you will keep getting errors if you try to e-file an amendment.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Louis Thanks for the reply. However please be aware that the program sent me to the e-file section even though it was an amended return and also went ahead and transmitted it twice.

I would suggest that if the program knows I can not e-file an amended state return it should not be going to the e-file section and acting as if it is transmitting the return

Tax Pro

jbentson,

I've looked into this one a little bit further.  If the amendment is for 2015 or 2016 then you can e-file for some states, including NY.  This is a recent change at the state level that is still pretty new that even I wasn't aware of, and this change is why the software is prompting you to e-file.  H&R Block is the only software so far that has made the change.  From what I've found there are several other tax softwares that still will not allow state amendment e-files & are still doing amendments the way they had always been done before some states made the change to e-file for amendments about a year ago or so.

So if you've submitted the return & the e-file was successful that's all you need to do.

You can however print & mail the return if the e-file was not successful.  What I mentioned about NY e-files before is true.  You're not required to e-file if your software doesn't support e-file for some reason or other or if you complete the return by hand.

If you amend a federal return you do still have to print & mail your amendment to the IRS.