DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

RE: HR Block software

I am using the H&R Block software with a Tax class and we are running across a few issues.

1-     Is it possible to make changes on the forms themselves, and if so, how? Say for instance, we have an example question that deals with Alternative Minimum Tax. It specifies that changes need to be made to Form 6251 Box 4 "Certain interest on a home mortgage" as well as Box 12 "Tax-exempt interest from specified private activity bonds." When we go into TAXES>ALTERNATIVE MINIMUM TAX, there is very limited information given in the questions, none of which applies to those two circumstances.

If we make the changes under INTEREST AND DIVIDENDS, or MORTGAGE INTEREST, the software does not update Form 6251 with that corresponding information.

Can you tell me where I would input that information in the questionnaires, or if there is a way to enter the information directly into Form 6251 on the proper lines themselves?

Tax Pro

Re: RE: HR Block software

Hi angelah,

Welcome to the community.

In the dekstop software you can make manual entries on most forms by right clicking on the space you want to enter information into and selecting "input'.

In order for a form to update from entries made through the interview you usually have to click all the way through without skipping as it re-calculates your forms and updates them at certain points along the way.

I hope this helps you out.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thank you Louis,

Does this apply to the 2014 version as well? I right click after I show the entire form, but there is no option for "input." There is; however, "override" but it states that e-filing would be unavailable in that case and I'm guessing it wouldn't change the corresponding entries throughout the interview?

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.

Override is what I was referring to.  If you make manual entries it may keep you from e-filing because if it comes up with one of those warnings during the accuracy check that will prevent e-file in the Block software.

For tax years prior to 2016 you cannot e-file because the final e-file deadline (the date of the filing extension deadline) has passed.  For a return for 2015 or earlier you will need to mail your return to the IRS.

IRS MAILING ADDRESSES

Right clicking should also work with the 2014 version.  If you manually input something it should update the return once the form has been saved but make sure you look it over.  It's for entries that you make as you go along through the interview that you have to click all the way through for updates (not entries made directly on the forms with an override).

Glad to be of help.

Louis

Pioneer

I am having the same issue.  I am using the 2016 version.  When I click on line 12 and try to override, I was unsure about it so I cancelled out.  Now, the override option is grayed out.  That box should populate from somewhere, shouldn't it?  Like angelah, I'm failing to see where that would be. 

Thanks in advance for any help.