DIY Products

Pioneer

Qualified Plug-In Electric Vehicle Credit (form 8936) difficult to access & doesn't support e-file!

As a long time user of H&R software for tax calculation and e-file I found this year's software useless in seeking credit for a qualified electric vehicle.  After going to IRS and finding the appropriate form(8936) and making the necessary enties on form 3800 H&R Block stated I could not e-file and would have to file papers.  That was the last straw for me so I went to TurboTax that led me through the electric vehihcle credit, e-filed and inspired more confidence with thoroughness!  Guess what software I will use next year!

Valued Pioneer

Re: Qualified Plug-In Electric Vehicle Credit (form 8936) difficult to access & doesn't support

I came across this on another forum.  It works.  You just have to do a paper submission and use the IRS form 8936 and print it to include with your submission. 

It was difficult to figure out without help from H&R block, but you can use TaxCut software. As instructed in form 8936, go to line 53 of the 1040 (do this by opening forms in TaxCut) and check the box that says "other", enter "8936" in the text field and type 7500 in the box. the software give you the credit. You will need to mail in the form instead of e-filing.