DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

I had the same problem until today. I downloaded the update version B available today on the H&R Block download site, clicked the the updater app and it immediately started listing the individual files being updated. No waiting for gathering info. Note that I did not update within the tax program which probably would have used the old problem A version which the program had already downloaded and would have used. It shows that the next federal update is Feb 9. I am using a MacBook Pro with the latest High Sierra 10.13.3 macOS which I think is where most people have problems with the update. Good luck!

Pioneer

Thanks, @lyberman.

I downloaded and scanned the DMG, closed my H&R Block 2017 Deluxe program and applied the update successfully.

For those downloading the update from the "H&R Block website" which site / address are you using?

Regards,

M

Esteemed Pioneer

Here is the site I downloaded the update from:

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions/federal-mac.html

I finished my Federal return but it says I can't file until the next update, which comes out Feb. 9th.  I really hope this update doesn't have the same problems.

Pioneer

For me, it eventually finished, and I started my return. Then when I went to browse for a file, the program quit unexpectedly. Every time. Anyone else have this?

Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I called H & R Block Technical Support because I was having the same problem with the installer getting stuck.  I am using an iMac running the latest version of macOS.  

I spoke to three different support people (the first two escalated the issue) and had to explain the problem to each of the three.  None of the support people were helpful, and the quality of the phone connection when speaking to the last person was horrible.  I called again the next day, and requested that a manager call me to tell me the status of the situation.  A manager called the next day when I was not available to take the call but just left a message saying "what's up" as if she was clueless about the specific issue.  I called back and asked for the manager to call me back.  My request was ignored and I never received a call back.  

I have applied updates for other software products hundreds of times in my life and have never encountered problems such as what we are facing with H & R Block. For one thing, a software update should not have to scan the whole computer.  For another thing, the software update should not stall.  Finally, H & R Block has known about this problem for a very long time and has neither fixed it nor communicated properly with its customers. 

Pioneer

Well done programming team @ H&R Block. After releasing a product that can't be updated and taking months to fix it, you now have it working.. or so we all thought until you try to install the Stare package and now we have the same problem... "Gathering information..." forever. Do you have ANYONE QA this software? How do I get a refund so I can switch to TurboTax?? OMG!

Pioneer

I have the same problem on a 2013 MacBook Air with no special antivirus or firewall installed.  I went through all the troubleshooting.  It would not update from the program.  I managed to download to B version Federal file and that at least went through installation.  But at the end, after it says it completed install correctly, the program says there is the same update that needs to install.

Ugh.  So I called support, went through most of the same troubleshooting, and they ended up walking me through uninstalling and re-installing a freshly downloaded version.  Guess what?  Same problem.  Federal wants an update.

This is frustrating.  I'm giving H&R a week or so to figure it out and post a new update.  I'll call support one more time and see what they can do.  Next step is to switch to another solution.  Not as if there is no competition in this software, eh?  And we tend to be "sticky," meaning I'm only with H&R because I was last year and my data was easily updated year over year.  Make me switch and they may not see me again as a customer for many years.

Is anyone at H&R reading these posts?  You're bleeding Mac OS customers.  Fix it.  Fix it fast.

Esteemed Pioneer

Penforhire:

Are you sure it's the same update again or is it the one that is expected to be out Feb. 9th?  That's another update.

Pioneer

Thanks. That's what helped me find that "Pending Updates" needs to be cleared before the new update will work. Run this in terminal: rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/H\&RBlock/2017/Pending\ Updates/HRBlock_630*
Pioneer

Clearing pending updates didn't work for me. Disconnecting all network drives didn't work for me. I downloaded the update manually and installed it but when I open the program, it still says there are updates pending.