DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

FYI -- I had the same problems already described by others here.  Finally I just let the installer program run (I did not do anything special like removing external drives, etc., etc.) and it finished in about 15-20 minutes.  Note, however, that I am using a Mac Powerbook with a rather small SSD drive, so there was not a great deal of "real estate" for the installer program to look through.

Pioneer

I'm having the same problem as everyone else here, I guess. I'm using H&R Block 2017. I downloaded the Mac update, but when I run it, it says "Gathering information..." and then just hangs. I called for customer support, and that wasn't helpful at all.

At first, the support agent said the updates for the Mac aren't available yet and will be available on January 26. I pointed out that there is already an update available. It was put on H&R Block's FTP site on December 14:

ftp://ftp1.taxcut.com/2017/fed/

And it's that update that isn't working. Then he asked what Mac OS version I'm running. I'm on the latest, 10.13.2. Next he said there is a known issue with that version and it's been escalated to development, and to try back on January 26. (note that he didn't say January 29, which is the date other people posting here gave)

The insult added to the injury: I took the phone survey on the quality of their support, and while I was recording a voice message to answer their question of how they could have done better, their phone survey system hung up on me.

Pioneer

FYI:  I was also seeing the hung up update and left it alone for an hour or so and it completed and all was well.  There is definitely a bug somewhere that needs to be fixed.  Hope this helps someone...(Running current version of High Sierra, disconnected all external drives, and drive shares before starting the update). 

Esteemed Pioneer

"FYI:  I was also seeing the hung up update and left it alone for an hour or so and it completed and all was well.  There is definitely a bug somewhere that needs to be fixed.  Hope this helps someone...(Running current version of High Sierra, disconnected all external drives, and drive shares before starting the update). "

I'm glad you got it working.  I've had no luck.  I have let it run for over 20 hours and it never finishes.

When you say you disconnected all drive shares does that include other computers on your network?

I monitored the Activity Monitor and it never shows that the update reads more than about 1.7GB or so on my drive(s).  Even after 20 hours.

Trusted Pioneer

My experience as well.  Left it running for a day and no go.  I had already disconnected all external drives.  Lovely.

Esteemed Pioneer

Why can't we get any definitive answers on this?  Phone support seems to be clueless and is giving conflicting answers.

The support person posting on here is telling us there is a patched version available and to call the number to get a link to it.

This problem seems to happen frequently so why does it keep happening and why is it so hard to fix???

Valued Pioneer

I too had this problem. Per ToddBradley, I downloaded the dmg from ftp://ftp1.taxcut.com/2017/fed/.

The latest updates are the B one depending on the version you have:

ftp://ftp1.taxcut.com/2017/fed/HRBlock_Basic_2017_Update_B.dmg

ftp://ftp1.taxcut.com/2017/fed/HRBlock_Deluxe_2017_Update_B.dmg

ftp://ftp1.taxcut.com/2017/fed/HRBlock_Premium_2017_Update_B.dmg

I was able to manually install these.

Thanks!

Esteemed Pioneer

Thanks, lyleberman!

Now, I was a bit unsure about downloading from the links you provided so I went to the HR Block site where you can manually download updates and they had the B version there.  I downloaded it and it seems to have installed fine.

I appreciate the help and a place to vent.  

I'll probably see you all in a year!  LOL

Esteemed Pioneer

Hey, guess what!  I had my federal return ready waiting for this update.  After the update my refund went up by a couple hundred bucks!

BUT, when I proceeded to download my state info I'm once again stuck at the Gathering Information....!!!

Wonderful!

Trusted Pioneer

So on Jan 15, I was escalated to a "Tier 3" techie, and told I would be called back in a "few days". Never happened. But last night HRBlock customer service called to ask if I still had any issues. She was clueless as to the original issue, and had no solutions to offer.

I'm trying to install the Jan 26 update now, but stuck at "gathering info..."

Some serious incompetence at HRB and utter lack of customer support.