DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Esteemed Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

"I just got off the phone with the "escalation department." The woman I spoke with immediately knew what I was talking about and said that the problem would be fixed with the 1/19/18 update."

I hope this is correct, though how will we get this "update"?

I left mine running for over 20 hours and it never finished.  It only showed to have read 1.74GB and written 820KB

Associate (Pioneer)

Dakart,

I recommend you call our Technical Support Department, they will be able to send you a download link that is already updated.

Technical Support contact info is: 866-606-3400.    Thanks. -Tashia

Esteemed Pioneer

"

I recommend you call our Technical Support Department, they will be able to send you a download link that is already updated.

Technical Support contact info is: 866-606-3400.    Thanks. -Tashia"

You are saying there is already a fixed update available?  If so why can't you point us to it on here.  Many people are having this problem.  

Trusted Pioneer

"You are saying there is already a fixed update available?  If so why can't you point us to it on here."

I think because they are having you download a fully patched and updated HRBlock tax software, not just the update. So they also give you a new activation code to go with it. Otherwise people who hadn't purchased the program could download it and use it.

Esteemed Pioneer

"I think because they are having you download a fully patched and updated HRBlock tax software, not just the update. So they also give you a new activation code to go with it. Otherwise people who hadn't purchased the program could download it and use it."

Ok, got it.  I will bring my MacBook back to my office at lunch and call that number.  Hopefully the person I get will be familiar with the problem.

Esteemed Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I called the number and was told the update won't be available until the 29th.  I explained about the posts in this forum and she said she can send me a link but the update won't be out until the 29th.

And what do you know, what she sent me has to do an update and it's doing the same thing...."Gathering information....""

I am done with this software.  Nobody at support seems to know anything and people are getting conflicting information.

I want to request a refund.  How can I do that?

Trusted Pioneer

"I am done with this software."

I hear you. But TurboTax is quite a bit more expensive, and comes with its own headaches. I used TurboTax for 10 years, switching to HRB four years ago. They've both got their issues.

You can't file your return until the end of January anyway. My CPA at work tells me the IRS isn't processing anything before Jan 29. All the forms haven't been released. Any tax software will be in the same bind.

So, as much as this update issue reeks of incompetence, which I hate to reward, I don't see a better alternative at the moment.

Associate (Pioneer)

Hello wyomingtim1,

I would recommend you call and get a download link. The download link is already updated, please call our Technical Support Department for the updated download link: 866-606-3400.

Thanks,

Tashia

Esteemed Pioneer

LaTashia:

I did call that number and was told the updated version would not be available until January 29th.  I mentioned what you had said here and she said she would send me a link but the update won't be ready until the 29th.

The link she sent did not work right either.  Can you address this?

Also I posted a response earlier but it has disappeared.

Pioneer

Thanks for those who shared their experiences. I was having the same problem, but after reading several posts on this topic, I fired up the Update Installer and took my wife to dinner. When I returned, it was still running and displaying the infamous "Gathering information . . ." message, but it finished a few minutes after I returned. Activity Monitor showed it read 1.7 GB (in just under two hours) and completed successfully. Very poor software engineering, particularly if this has been going on for 10 years as some have reported.

I also discovered that it's impossible to find a live chat support link. This is after I spent an hour on the phone last night with Tier 1 and Tier 2 support, to no avail. Very poor customer experience.