DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Trusted Pioneer

Re: Mac Updater Stuck on "Gathering Information"

Mine updated after leaving it running just over an hour. If you run Activity Monitor, you can see that it is [slowly] reading your drive, presumably looking for the files to update. Eventually it seems to find them.

Esteemed Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

wyomingtim1, were you using the in-app update procedure or did you download the update manually?

My initial attempt the update ran overnight and never finished.  The other day I turned off WiFi and ran the manual update.  After 4+ hours it never completed.  At some point the disk read had stopped at 1.60GB but the CPU was still pegged at 99%.

Trusted Pioneer

I downloaded the update manually.

Esteemed Pioneer

+Wyomingtim1, Can you describe what you mean by 'update manually' ?  Did you re-download the software and re-install from the email web site? 

Pioneer

Re: Mac Updater Stuck on "Gathering Information"

i did and the support person didn't have a clue

Pioneer

There's links at the bottom to download the update yourself and install manually vs. doing it within the program update feature.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions.html

Valued Pioneer

Like everyone else, my installer hangs for a few minutes while reading files, but then I get the following error message: "An error occurred that prevented the installation from completing." This occurs whether or not I disconnect my external hard drive and/or turn off my wifi.

Anyone else? Everything in this installation process, including this nonspecific error message and the brute-force reading of files, is a manifestation of what beginning computer programmers are taught NOT to do, so I don't know why I continue to trust this software to do my taxes correctly...

Valued Pioneer

A chat line supervisor confidently told me that the problem was fixed on 11/14/18. Guess not!

Valued Pioneer

I just got off the phone with the "escalation department." The woman I spoke with immediately knew what I was talking about and said that the problem would be fixed with the 1/19/18 update.

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

OK, I have SOLVED the issue I was having with the error message/hanging disk searches.

I noticed that in the Applications folder, the program was named "H&R Block 2018." Whereas everywhere else, it was (correctly) named "H&R Block 2017."

I manually renamed that single file "H&R Block 2017."

And then, after 2 hours of banging my head against the wall, everything installed perfectly in just a couple of minutes. I have 86 GB of data on my Mac HD.

I think the installer was searching for an application named "H&R Block 2017" and was getting nowhere because the application was named "H&R Block 2018."

It's infuriating that H&R Block don't have a QA process to search for tax-year-naming errors. Or that it hardcodes the tax year at all. And, most of all, that they make customers do the work of tracking down dumb mistakes like this rather than dedicating employees to the task.