DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Re: Mac Updater Stuck on "Gathering Information"

Same problem. Going to switch to Turbo Tax if they don’t come up with fix
Valued Pioneer

A reviewer on Amazon with this problem finally reached a so-called expert on the H&R Block help line who said they are working on a fix to be available soon. Supposedly problem caused by an incompatibility with a recent macOS update. Cross your fingers!

Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

Yet another Mac user with stalling installer. Per solution, I disconnected the two external drives and the installer ran to completion with no further issues. This has apparently been a problem with this software for several years now. How hard can it be for block software to find and fix this?

Associate (Pioneer)

Dick,

If you continue to have a problem please contact us at 1-866-606-3400 and we will do our best to assist you. 

Vanessa
Social Media Rep, Kansas City, Mo
Associate (Pioneer)

Hello,

For anyone having issues please contact us at 1-800-HRBLOCK so that we can further assist you. 

Vanessa
Social Media Rep, Kansas City, Mo
Esteemed Pioneer

Has the problem been fixed? If so can’t you tell us what to do here??
Trusted Pioneer

I spent 2 hours in chat with H&R Block today trying to solve this issue. Eventually got bumped to Tier 2, and then to Tier 3. No solution ever provided. I was variously asked to uninstall and reinstall the program and the update, to try the update from within the tax software, to download the update manually. The techs on the H&R Block chat line were very uninformed and spent most of the time waiting for them to look up questions in a database. They demonstrated little or no knowledge of a Mac computer or what the various dialog boxes looked like.

A complete waste of time.

Trusted Pioneer

I was given a case number once escalated to "Tier 3" and told "it will take a few days for them to contact you back on this issue". If anyone actually does contact me, I'll update this thread.

Pioneer

Same problem here, about 9 hours later, it says "Gathering Information".  After multiple attempts to update the 2017 Deluxe version over the past 3 days, I decided to let it sit uninterrupted today.  After 9 Hours, It is obvious that it is never going to update.  There is a software issue on H&R Block's end.  Please correct this quickly!

Trusted Pioneer

Still haven't heard back from Customer Support. But I did let the installer run all morning today, and monitored it with Activity Monitor to see if it was actually doing anything. Very slowly, it appeared to be reading the hard drive. After just over an hour, the install completed, after reading 1.34 GB of data from the drive.

So my takeaway is that the updater does work, but it uses an very inefficient search process to find the files it needs to update. Some have reported it taking over 9 hours to complete, and for some it gets lucky and finds the files quickly.