DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

Napman, I am certain.  I gave it all another go, updating to version C manually.  That ran fine.  But the Federal update still would not, well... update.

I was frustrated and done.  I contacted Amazon, got a refund, and downloaded a competitor program.  Downloaded and updated without a hitch.  Fed taxes came out the same as H&R had calculated.  My taxes were quickly filed and accepted by Fed and state.

Hey H&R, guess whose software I'm buying next year, and which I will recommend to others?

Valued Pioneer

Are you using a Mac with a solid state drive with the APFS file system? I am trying to figure out why some people are reporting success.

Esteemed Pioneer

Penforhire:

I'm glad you got everything taken care of.  I am with you.  I will not be buying the H&R Block software again.

It turns out that the Feb. 9 update I'm waiting on is just an update for an IRS form.  Which is actually available just not to us Mac H&R Block users.  It's just ridiculous.  

I hadn't thought of getting a refund from Amazon.  Would they do that for digital downloads?

Pioneer

I was able to update the Jan 26th version without a hitch, and was able to efile both my daughter and my returns. Having the same issue as everyone with the Feb 9th version while trying to efile for my son. I've downloaded and installed from the Block website, still no luck, same message that I need to update to efile.

Also, even though my version of the software says Deluuxe + State, it's telling me I have to purchase the state, ugh! This is my 4th year using H&R Block software, and may be my last. I had used TurboTax for years until the price got ridiculous.

Pioneer

NapMan

Careful with going to EZ - the new tax law with the significantly increased standard deduction applies to 2018 income, not 2017.

Valued Pioneer

This is STILL a problem with the latest 'D'-revision update this year (as of Feb. 11, 2018). I'm running H&R Block 2017 Deluxe Federal, which I purchased as an Amazon download and am using on a MacBook Pro with High Sierra OS. Attempting to update from within your interface hangs forever with message "gathering information", once again. 

Like others with previous versions, I've succeeded in updating by downloading the latest update from this location: https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions/federal-mac.html . The filename that worked for my product version is "HRBlock_Deluxe_2017_Update_D.dmg". To anyone else who tries updating via a download from this site, please consider reporting about your experiences here, too.

To any HR Block reps reading this thread: you REALLY need to feature this information prominently both on your website, and within the software interface itself. Judging from 9 pages or more of replies in this thread alone, and plenty more product complaints from Amazon purchasers, the within-program updater on Macs has NEVER worked! It's way past time to publicize the workaround information to your users, before we all give up on your otherwise quite-good tax software and move to your competitors.

Valued Pioneer

I had no problem updating H&R Block 2017 Deluxe Federal with State within the program on Feb 8. I clicked the update option as the program opened, and it immediately started showing the individual files as the update progressed. No box showing gathering data. I am running the program on a MacBook Pro with High Sierra 10.13.3, the latest macOS update. I also had purchased the program from Amazon as a download.

Previously, i did have the update problem within the program and had the "gathering data" never ending. I download ed the earlier updates A, B and C externally from the H&R Block site and successfully updated that way. I have not used the separate D download update so I can't vouch for how that works.

I have also successfully added the state to my file and that has been working. I don't think there has been state update yet. The program says that the next overall update is scheduled for March 2.

Other than the pre-Feb 8  update problems, I did have problems with the itemized list function. When I opened an existing list, the program would crash and I would have to restart the program. I could make a new list and the total amount would be entered in the box correctly, but I couldn't open an existing list to look at or edit the items  without crashing. I gave up using on the lists, though maybe that has been fixed, or maybe not. Haven't tried recently.

Highlighted
Pioneer

I had this problem but the problem resolved itself.  I recall this happened in 2016 and 2017, too.  i don't know why.  

At any rate: I updated the program as needed. The program downloaded required information from the 2016 HR Block forms and from financial institutions seamlessly.   I filed my federal taxes electronically on February 3rd in the afternoon and my federal tax refund was in my bank account yesterday, the 12th.    I could not do the state taxes before last week and expect that the state will take much longer to process than the feds.  

Pioneer

I had the same problem reinstalling the program on a new MBP (my old iMac died).  It ran for at least an hour -- after rebooting without any attached drives and without the Time Capsule connected.  It had read at least 1.8 GB by then, and when it was finished "gathering information", it finally updated the software in short order!  I really don't know what it was reading.  The original cleanly installed program copy?  It's not even 120 MB!!!  It clearly doesn't read the whole disk.  

This was only one of the problems encountered.  I had tried to open an old 2016 tax file but the State program had not yet been installed.  It reported that it could NOT open the tax file without Colorado first being installed.  Jeez!  Why not just install it?  So after I got the base system installed and updated, I created a new tax file, went to State, added Colorado, quit.  Then FINALLY loaded the old tax file successfully.

I've used H&R Block since back in the days when this was called "Tax Cut".  Since Block took it over, its software QA has been less than stellar.  Maybe this is the last year.