DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

I'm having the same problem.  The only drives I had connected were a Synology Diskstation, which also houses my Time Machine drive.

I physically turned the Diskstation off.  I also downloaded the update from the H&R Block website and it's STILL stuck at Gathering Information.

In Activity Monitor I can see it is using CPU cycles and is reading from the disk (1.46GB read so far) and it's been going for about 15 minutes.

This is unacceptable. The same problem happened to me a couple of years ago and it took several calls with support to get it working, however I don't remember what finally fixed it.  

Valued Pioneer

I ran the installer over night and that worked.  When I checked the Mac Pro this morning all was working.  One of the concerns I had when beginning the update, was that there was no indication that the installer was working and assuming that it had frozen.  I opened “Actdivity Monitor” to determin if things were working and that verified the updater was working before I went to bed.  What is interesting is that the updater CPU usage varied between 2% to 50%.  

I made a note on the CD that it took overnight to update the program as a reminder for next year.  

Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I reported in a separate thread but am having the same issue. Looking at Activity Monitor, I've had the application open for a half hour and it's read about 2gb from my drive--if it has to scan my entire drive at this pace it'll indeed take hours.

H&R Block--this is unacceptable. I should not have to leave my machine on overnight to install an update that should take seconds, minutes at most, to install. I'll try leaving the installer running, but this is ridiculous.

Esteemed Pioneer

The installer is indeed flawed.  From my experience a year ago, I learned that all external or network drives need to be ejected/removed including Time Machine before applying any updates.  This year, having done that, I have not had the same problems.  I am on MacOS 10.13.3 public beta.  But same problem existed a year ago on MacOS 10.12.

Re: Mac Updater Stuck on "Gathering Information"

I let mine run, took about 4 hours but did eventually install.

Same. I had unmounted everything I could, and still had the problem. Fed up, I just walked away. Came back a couple hours later and it was done.

Frustrating.

Highlighted
Associate (Pioneer)

Hi Danseitz,

Since none of the possible solutions worked for you, please give us a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK so we can best assist you.

Marlene
Client Service Social Media, Kansas City, MO

I'm having the same problem with updater getting stuck. I have tried turning of wifi on my MacBook Pro to disconnect from all other drives, I tried on a second MBP, I tried from the admin account. always the same problem.

After wasting over a day trying to update this awful software I asked Amazon for a refund. I will probably be switching to TurboTax.

I actually turned off my network drive and it still never got past the "Gathering Information" box.  How long did you wait?

The first time I ran the update I did leave my Mac running overnight, accidentally, and the next morning it still wasn't complete.  Now this was with my network drives connected.

I turned off WiFi and ran the update. It’s been running for almost 90 minutes now. Disk read has been at 1.60GB since about 15 minutes into it. Disk write is at 28.7MB. CPU usage has been around 99% the whole time and it’s still there now.

I don’t know how long this should take.