DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

I started up the 2015 application today and the update window popped up. I was able to download the update but when running the update the H & R Block installer started, the 2015 application automatically quit. But the installer is stuck and there is a window saying "Gathering Information" - HELP!!!

Pioneer

Re: Program Update on Mac - Installer Stuck

I am responding/coplaining about this issue. The programmers at H&R block are now swift when it comes to dealing with Macs. It appears that the issue with this hanging is that the installer of the update searces ALL (That is each and every one) of the drives attached tio your Mac, including your Time Machine backup. It appears to look at EACH and EVERY file on this and every other drive attached. 

This obviously takes lots and lots and lots and lots of time. 

Dumb programming. 

I resolved this issue this year and in previous years by ejecting any drive attched to my Mac. Including the Time Machine drive. Suddenly the stuck updater is not stuck. It just finishes. This needs to be done with every update the program does.

Maybe H&R Block is running snooper software? Perhaps they have programmers that don't understand how Mac work? Perhaps they are truly looking for each and every instance of the software on one's Mac. Who knows. 

Just, PLEASE, fix this.

Pioneer

Thanks so much for your tip!  I just disconnected my Time Machine and the update immediately installed.  Now I'll know to do that every time!

Esteemed Pioneer

Had the same problem.  I called support who was essentially useless.  I ended up having them send me a link with the latest version of the software with the updates.  Then I installed that successfully.   But, had similar problem, when my State was available this week.  It appeared to have started the installer, then hung up.  I forced everything closed.  Then went back in to find that the State did install.  I was suprised.

But having said all this, I'm gong to definitely disconnect Time Machine before the final update coming on 1/26.

Thanks

Pioneer

had what I thought was successful installation of 2016 software on my mac.  When I went back to start return could not find software.  Returned to confirmaiton email, used download link, followed instructions - no joy.  Would not install.  After several attempts (preceded by removal of download and re-download), googled and found update link.  Downloaded.  Would try but fail as - oops, guess what.  Nothing installed to update!  I have used HRBlock for years successfully.  This is unbelievable.  I went to Mac Community and HR community and found no help.  I tried calling and got a recording.  No link for so called "live chat".  

How did you get link for the 2016 updated software that you successfully installed?

with thanks in advance

CA Laughing Dog

Esteemed Pioneer

Maybe this will help.  Be sure to disconnect your Time Machine disk if you have one.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions.html

The current edition is at the bottom under "Download Tax Software Updates"

Pioneer

Hi, were you able to resolve the problem after you got the link? 

What was the solution?

I have the link but I'm still getting an error. 

Pioneer

Mac Updater Stuck on "Gathering Information"

This seems to be a recurrent issue from year to year that still hasn't been fixed. I read through prior threads and followed all prior recommendations (uninstalled and reinstalled, unmounted all external drives as well as my Bootcamp partition in Disk Utility, deleted preference files under ~/Library/Preferences and program files under ~/Library/Application Support) with no resolution to the problem.

Can we get an official fix for this? As far as I can tell this goes back to the 2008 version at least (almost 10 years...really, H&R Block?). Alternatively, I'd take a download link for an updated installer (not the updater) or any other workaround.

Valued Pioneer

I am trying to up date the 2017 Federal tax on the Premium software and the update is not making any progress. It has been going on for almost 4 hours.  I ejected the external disks about a half hour ago.  I am going to run this tonight but install the security camera external disk.  I will report tomorrow (Jan 12k, 2018)

Pioneer

I'm having the same issue.  Trying to update 2017 Federal Tax info and it's stuck on "Gathering information."