DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Problem with KY state software--unable to enter extension payment

[ Edited ]

I have a problem with the H&R Block KY state software for 2016.

I filed a KY extension on paper with a payment toward the eventual tax owed. The software does not permit me to enter the amount of the payment. There is no question about this, and I can go to the form, but it will not allow me to override Form KY-740 line 30(b), which is where the KY instructions say to record payments made with extensions.

For now, I am fudging it by entering my payment amount on line 30(c), and I will correct it when I print it before I send it.

Also, I am not able to fill out the Form 2210-K to attach to the KY-740 (calculating interest owed). In this case, I can download the form from the KY DOR and fill it out manually.

But I would prefer to do it through the software. This looks like a deficiency to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Valued Pioneer

Re: Problem with KY state software--unable to enter extension payment

[ Edited ]

Looks like I was wrong. The software asks for payments made with extensions after asking you to enter penalties and interest, which I don't understand, but please ignore this question.

(I guess you only get one edit, 'cause I wasn't able to edit the original post here, either.)