DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Esteemed Pioneer

New York Estimated Tax Payment was NOT automatically made as it should have been

The New York state interview process in the H&R Block software had a new provision this year for setting up automatic estimated tax payments for 2017.  According to the instructions, and as specified in state form IT-2105, you check the box to set up automatic estimated tax deductions, provide the bank account info,  and authorize the deductions.  I did all of that, and my e-filed return was accepted by the state on March 3. 

However the automatic deduction of  my first quarter 2017 estimated tax was not made.  I called NY state tax dept and they can't find any record that I ever specified it.   So now my estimated payment is late and I'm subject to penalty.

I triple-checked the H&R Block software and NYS form, and automatic deduction is clearly specified.  I know the bank account info was correct because i owed $51 for 2016, and they deducted that properly.

Either the H&R Block software did not correctly send the information to NYS, or NYS screwed it up in their system.  I have no way of knowing which, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.