DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

MN desktop software has error

I downloaded an update to the MN state software to my desktop version on March 23rd.   Now the returns I had started for myself and family members are incorrect because form M1NC is being populated incorrectly and offsetting all MN income.  Therefore, the software indicates no MN tax.   I reported the problem on March 23rd but have not seen an update yet to fix the problem.  Beware if you plan to finalize a MN return and have this software update.

Pioneer

Re: MN desktop software has error

Finally got escalated to a rep today who had me go to Tools, reinstall state program and that fixed the problem.

Valued Pioneer

Still problems for me as well on the M1NC after the March 30 update.

The new update fixed line 14 of the M1NC (previously it had put in my entire Federal Adjusted Gross Income figure, resulting in a large subtraction on M1 line 6, resulting in a taxable income of 0, triggering the M1MT Alternative Minimum Tax). Now M1NC line 14 correctly shown as 0.

However, the update did not fix my M1NC line 12. In both previous update and this update, line 12 is my entire charitable deduction from my Schedule A line 19. That number is then carried thru to line 15 as a positive number, and thus entered in to line 16 on my M1M and then on to line 3 on my M1 as an addition to my income. Since I did not deduct mortgage insurance premiums or claim an enhanced charitable deduction, line 12 on my M1NC should have been 0.

When I did the "Reinstall State Program" under the Tools menu, it reverted to the old software (before the latest 2 updates), and the problem went away. However, when I ran HRBLOCK again, and it wanted to update MINNESOTA, it did the update, and the problem reappeared.

Valued Pioneer

MN M1-NC error

Hey H&R Block - if you are listening, you owe anyone who downloaded the MN forms at least a partial refund.  You have our email addresses - why didn't you send us a warning?  I came very close to filing with erroneous data, but noticed the error with M1-NC at the last second.  And to top it off, the March 30 update still didn't fix the problem.  I expect to see an email to anyone who used MN forms, with a link to get a refund (and not just credit for next year).  I've used H&R Block's software for years but if I don't get any response back to my feedback (I submitted a form with the case number and my email address) I will become a TurboTax user for 2018.  

Valued Pioneer

Reinstalling the state program fixes the calculations but it won't let you e-file the state return because it thinks the software needs an update.  And if you run that update, the calculation error is re-introduced.  So this is NOT fixed yet. 

Valued Pioneer

I am still having problems with Schedule M1NC erroneously adding my charitable contributions to Line 12. What number are people calling to get service regarding this? I have tried re-installing the state program, but the program won't open my return without running the update. Are people RE-ENTERING their entire return after re-installing?

Valued Pioneer

I'm able to open the existing return, and the calculations are correct, after re-installing the program.  However, it won't let me e-file because it thinks I'm missing an update (which I am - the one that does the M1-NC form incorrectly!)  But I can print so worst case, the numbers seem right and I'll have to file the old fashioned way.

Pioneer

printed m1 a couple of weeks ago and now tried to re-print and it updated and added $47 to my tax for federal nonconformity item which I do not have.  it assumes all my contributions were to hurricane or wildfire relief organization, or my contributions were limited by agi.  neither are true.  tried to get help online and by calling-waste of time.  i'm not using h&r block software in future.  they are incompetent.

Valued Pioneer

I have also not been helped yet, and the re-install did nothing for me. I waited out the phone hold and spoke with someone. He said they were aware of the problem and working on it, and gave me a case number. Said I would receive a call back within an hour or so. No one called back. That was Saturday early afternoon. It is now Monday morning 2am. I have figured out how to manually override numbers in the form, but then you can't efile. The whole point of the software is to be able to efile. I already had my numbers figured; that's how I knew they were erroneous. HR BLOCK should have an online system for customers to be able to report bugs, see whether coders are working on it, and report whether a fix is on the way. This community forum is not a satisfactory way to report bugs if no staff attention is paid to it.

To all who posted on this thread,

I just got an update from our digital products team. They are aware that there’s an issue and are working to get the update out as quickly as possible. The latest it will be out is this Friday, April 6, but it may be available sooner. I will post a note in this thread if I hear that the update if available sooner.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Harold