DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Esteemed Pioneer

MN Tax Form M1529 Not Included in State Package - Can I still E File?

Form M1529 for MN is not included in the state software.

This is a Schedule form related to the state deduction/credit for a 529 education contribution.

You can enter the amount in the software and it then goes to the state Additions/Subtractions section on Form M1M, but no Form M1529 is produced.  They suggest downloaded the form and completing manually.

Will state still accept my efile or am I stuck having to paper file?

Pioneer

Re: MN Tax Form M1529 Not Included in State Package - Can I still E File?

I have the same problem - I'm wondering if there is an update coming to the software that I should wait for before filing?  This is a pretty big credit so I'm disappointed it's not included in the state package.  I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't been paying attention to the news.

Esteemed Pioneer

Customer service said it's included in the HR Block Online Filing program...couldn't explain why it's not in the download software.

I have sent an email to MN asking if it can be efiled without the form, and I'll post back what I hear

Pioneer

Thanks for posting this.  I have the same issue.  I'm ready to file, but the software says I need to paper file.  Let us know if you hear anything.

Esteemed Pioneer

I will.  No reply to my email yet (been about 4 days), and tried calling but was in the never ending hold due to agents being very busy.

Will post when I hear something

Esteemed Pioneer

Looks like we're stuck with paper filing.

MN said they need the form, so efiling with HR Block would either be rejected or cause problems in processing.

Only chance is if HR Block adds it to the MN program....and I'm not hopeful of that.  

I did notice that a MN update is supposed to be available on or before March 1, so I'll probably wait till then to see if it gets added

Out of ideas...

Esteemed Pioneer

...and just got this email from MN with the same answer.  I must have talked to the same guy who replied to my email.

"Thank you for your email. I would recommend making sure you submit them together. If H & R Block doesn't allow you to submit or enter that information, then it would be best to send the M1-529 in along with your M1 by mail. 

If they aren't submitted together then your M1 may be adjusted to disallow that credit or subtraction. If the M1-529 is submitted separately, then it may go unnoticed on your account as they weren't submitted together.

If we don't receive the M1-529 form at all, then we will most likely send out a letter requesting it or we would automatically disallow the credit or subtraction and that will certainly cause a delay in the time it takes for us to process the return. "

Esteemed Pioneer

So I checked out the MN forms that Turbo Tax includes and M1529 IS NOT INCLUDED either

WTH???