DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

Re: Issue filing Child Tax Credit (IRS Publication 972)

I did not have the issue last year. I just found an existing thread from last year that mentioned the same issue/error. I just tried today's update, too, and it did not fixed the problem for me, either.

Trusted Pioneer

Online support just told me that an update is due for that form on 2/15. 

Pioneer

I am running into same error as well I did the update. I am still getting the same error and the next update isn't until Feb 6, now "in line" waiting for customer support through chat.

Valued Pioneer

Told me the same thing with no guarantee that will fix the problem because they told me that about this week's update, too.

I am really concerned because it is very unclear if they actually fixed the problem in 2016 or not.

Really wish that link at the beginning of this conversation worked to see what people did last year to fix or work around.

Pioneer

Same issue here.  If anyone gets by this, please post your solution.  I will try support also.

Thanks,

Wade

Pioneer

I took the solar tax credit last year and the child tax credit ($1k) without any problem.  Since I was only able to use about half of the solar tax credit, it carried forward.  Now, like the rest of you, I can't file until H&R block updates the software.  I've been using tax cut, now block, for 20 yrs without any problems.  Does anyone know how to remove the ACTC? 

Pioneer

Yup.  I can confirm I have the exact same problem.  We can't file because of some problem with IRS Publication 972.  We also don't qualify for the child tax credit but are trying to claim the solar credit.  If I remove the solar credit, it's fine.  Stupid bug in their software.  I can't believe they haven't fixed it a year later.  We just spent four hours doing our taxes with their worthless software.  It was the first time I tried H&R Block.  I guess I'll go back to Turbo Tax.

Valued Pioneer

A review of the HR Block 2015 software on Amazon mentions that the 2/15 update fixed the problem in 2016.  Hopefully it works again this year.  

It is a disappointing issue--year after year.

Valued Pioneer

Fingers Crossed!

Trusted Pioneer

The IRS is required to hold additional child tax credits until February 15, so I have decided to wait until the update on Feb 16 instead of filling in paper. If it is not corrected by then, I am filing in paper. I may have to consider TurboTax next year since it appears this had been an issue for HR Block for three years and they still can't fix it.