DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

Issue filing Child Tax Credit (IRS Publication 972)

I have a note at the end of my taxes that says"Inconsistency: Weive determined that you need the worksheets in IRS Publication 972 to get the Child Tax Credit and/or Additional Child Tax credit.  We'll post an update that will allow you to file your tax return as soon as we can.  Don't forget to frequently check for product updates.  You must fix this problem before filing."

What the heck? So is this saying I need to wait until H&R Block gets their act together and updates their software before I can submit properly?

Valued Pioneer

Re: Issue filing Child Tax Credit (IRS Publication 972)

More information here: http://community.hrblock.com/t5/DIY-Products/Publicatin-972/m-p/69478/highlight/true#M10283

Sorry for the extra thread.  I couldnt find an answer before and now it pops up so I am linking to it in case anyone else has the same issue.

Trusted Pioneer

It would not let me follow the link you posted.  I am having the same issue right now for my 2017 taxes.  What was the solution?

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I'm hitting the same issue filing for 2017. I found this link about a bug in last year's software, but it doesn't apply to my scenario. Still searching at this point...

http://community.hrblock.com/t5/DIY-Products/Child-Tax-Credit-Worksheet/m-p/69540/highlight/true#M10...

Trusted Pioneer

This doesn't really apply to me since I'm not claiming the solar credit. I am, however, claiming an adoption credit. I wonder if it's related...
Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

That might be the common denominator this year. I'm claiming adoption credits, too. Special needs adoptions...

Trusted Pioneer

So have you had any luck with phone support? So far everyone I talk to has no clue.
Valued Pioneer

I did online chat. I was basically told to try again after the next update (Feb 2). I didn't feel like they identified any issue beyond reading the error and taking it for face value despite the fact that the Child Tax Credit Worksheet form (Publication 972) was present and filled out in my file and it is listed as available and final on the website: https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions/federal-forms-available.html

I will wait and see on Friday...

Pioneer

I am in a similar boat to many here. I get an error message about the child tax credit, which goes away if I remove the solar energy credit from my return.

I tried to see if I could just push the return through despite the error, and it did say I could file on paper. Not ideal, but if this error isn't fixed soon, I'll probably end up doing that. I don't want to wait months for some stupid software bug to be fixed before I can get my refund.

Trusted Pioneer

Davide3, the update must have come down a day early, as I just downloaded an update.  It did not fix the problem.  You mentioned you had the same issue last year.  How did you get it resolved last year?