DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Re: Issue filing Child Tax Credit (IRS Publication 972)

I'm going to do the same thing.  Wait for the supposed fix on the 15th.  If no go then snail mail.  And I will never use HR Block again.  What a waste.  And I owe more money the longer I have to wait due to penalties.  I had solar credits the bumped this into requiring the 972 form.  It's totally stupid.  The form is the same as the standard child tax credit form that is already on the software except it makes you go the bull*** filling out the earned income credit section as well. I used to use Tax Cut but they are getting greedy with their prices and thought I'd try this.  You'd think since they knew it  was a  problem in '15 why they didn't debug the newest version before releasing it.  I guess you get what you pay for.

Pioneer

Jcase16 moderator, please provide a route of contact to complain about this IRS Publication 972. I switched this year to H&R from a competitor and I am completely unsatisfied. As big as H&R is, it is inexcusable to not have this available or fixed since the IRS has had this available since 1/2/2018 and this has been an ongoing issue for years, respectfully! No other tax software has this issue. I've been given several dates for update patch. Each has not corrected the problem. Per the IRS website, "According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue these refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or debit cards starting February 27, 2018." THIS DOES NOT STATE RETURNS CANNOT BE FILED UNTIL THEN! As we sit and wait for a "fix" from H&R, the incoming pile at the IRS grows! Another problem that I have is that I am a victim of ID theft and it's imperative to file promptly as my return has been challenge more than once in the past due to a fraudulent return filed. That process takes up to a year! PLEASE proved a way to complain other than customer service as that is a dead end. Not sure if H&R will get my business again!
Community Manager

From the product team:

Software will release the update that includes Pub 972, and final instructions for the Child Tax Credit, on Friday, Feb. 23. At that time you’ll be able to e-file your return with an accurate tax liability. We understand this is frustrating, however, we want to ensure that you have the most accurate calculations and are maximizing your refund. We apologize for the inconvenience in timing.

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!
Pioneer

NO! This is NOT acceptable and maximizing our returns is a poor excuse as this credit is a set amount based on number of children! I've lost count on the number of dates given for this issue to be corrected. NOW IT'S ANOTHER 10 DAYS?! RIDICULOUS! H&R has become so Mickey Mouse! I want a refund and I am reporting this to the BBB. H&R is taking our returns hostage!
Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer

Count me among the "never again" crowd.  This is the first year I tried H&R Block software, and getting hung up by a completely nonsensical dependency like this kills any confidence I have in how their developers operate, especially when the problem has been known for years.  I've invested too much time in filling out my forms this year, but as painful as it is to jump around, I think next year I'll have to bite the bullet and either revert to TaxAct or up the budget and go with TurboTax.

Trusted Pioneer

They got it fixed with this last update.