DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Issue filing Child Tax Credit (IRS Publication 972)

Unable to finish tax filing.  Accuracy review claims "Inconsistency: We've determined that you need the worksheets in IRS Publication 972 to get the Child Tax Credit and/or Additional Child Tax credit.  We'll post an update that will allow you to file your tax return as soon as we can.  Don't forget to frequently check for product updates.  You must fix this problem before filing."

I have had three calls with support with no answers.  Last call I was told that I will have to wait till the next update on the 6th and see what happens.  I'm not confident that the update will fix the issue.  This same error happened last year which is detailed in this thread here with no solution, http://community.hrblock.com/t5/DIY-Products/Issue-filing-Child-Tax-Credit-IRS-Publication-972/m-p/7...

I have verified that the 972 worksheets exist, both the child tax credit worksheet and the schedule 8812 worksheet are there.  They are correctly filled out.

The only common thing I can find with others that have this issue is that we have taken the adoption tax credit.

Has anyone had any success getting past this issue?

Pioneer

Re: Issue filing Child Tax Credit (IRS Publication 972)

We had this same stupid problem last year and had to mail in our return.  I will give them until the update on the 6th, after which I will use the Better Business Bureau, the SEC, the IRS, social media, and every other avenue I can exploit to cost them customers.  I have been an H&R Block customer for 19 years.  This is ludicrous for a "technically advanced" company.

#NotImpressed

Valued Pioneer

Exact same issue, but with Solar vs Child Tax Credit.  If I remove Solar it is fat dumb and happy, the moment I put the Solar back in to actually get a refund it barfs all over it!!!

Really ticked off!!!

Not happy at all!!!

Valued Pioneer

An amazon review from the 2015 software mentions that the 2/15 update fixed the problem in 2016.

Don't think I'll use HR Block after this year.

Pioneer

I am having the same issue and I am also receiving an adoption credit. Tech support told me the form would be updated on the 23rd. I spo
Pioneer

I have the same problem. After 4 different support people, nobody has an answer. 

Anyone tried filing with a different software?

Valued Pioneer

After today's update the error still exists.

Valued Pioneer

I have contacted support through email and have been informed that this will be fixed in the next update on February 23rd.

Pioneer

I have adoption credit as well... I AM SO MAD! I have spoke to about 10 different people and they all say "next update" and that was 2 updates ago. Now the 23rd is the next one? I ended up just sending everything to a Tax friend of mine to file. Thankfully he felt bad and isnt charging me to file. THIS IS BS! I have used this program for years and really liked it until now. 

Community Manager

From the product team:

Software will release the update that includes Pub 972, and final instructions for the Child Tax Credit, on Friday, Feb. 23. At that time you’ll be able to e-file your return with an accurate tax liability. We understand this is frustrating, however, we want to ensure that you have the most accurate calculations and are maximizing your refund. We apologize for the inconvenience in timing.

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!