DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Initialization Failed

Getting this error when trying to install 2017 Mac Deluxe Federal + State.  Says "Exception thrown during installation: File open failed.  File = /Users/Shared/H&R Block/2017/update.tim in open::MacFileWriterImpl"

I'm not sophisticated on these types of issues, but I've checked under Get Info and I have Read & Write privileges.  Called H&R Block support several times and they're no help at all.  Anyone else figured this out?

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: Initialization Failed

This error often appears when installing from a non-admin account. If you are not using your administration login, try logging in using those credentials and install again. 

If you are using an admin account, please let us know and include your OS version.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO
Pioneer

I get the same error anytime I try to open the application. I am using an admin account. macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.2.

Running the updater, the computer freezes on "gathering information."

Please advise.

Pioneer

I too am getting the initialization failed message, running High Sierra 10.13.2 and am in admin account.  Any way to correct?

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

This appears to be a common issue for Mac users. I was on the phone yesterday with technical support for almost two hours, and they told me there's a lot of issues with Mac users.

I get the exact same error message. No one at H&R Block Tech Support seems to know when there will be a fix, or even if there will be a fix. I tried doing the software update available on their website, but even then I get the same error message when I try to open the application. I'm running Mac OS High Sierra, version 10.13.2 and I downloaded and installed the software from an Admin account.

I'm replying to the original message because, hopefully, someone at H&R Block will see that this issue is affecting more than just one user and they will figure out the problem.

Valued Pioneer

Also getting the same error.  I've spent hours with tech support on the phone and chat lines, to no avail.  They had me uninstall and reinstall several times.  Running High Sierra with Admin privileges.  Just for reference, I tried opening 2016 H & R Block with NO problem.  They have escalated my case to "the next level".  

Valued Pioneer

BTW, using Deluxe version of 2017 HRB.  Anyone using a different version?

Valued Pioneer

And downloaded from website, not via a DVD.

Valued Pioneer

Some additional information since my original post:

I originally tried running the application on a new iMac, running High Sierra with an Admin account. Today, I tried installing the application on my MacBook Pro, also running the same version of High Sierra and with an Admin account. On my MacBook Pro, I was able to open the application.

The problem is, I want to use it on my iMac, not my MacBook Pro.

I last talked to the tech support area three days ago when they told me they were referring my problem to the "next level" and I would receive a call within 24-48 hours. Almost 72 hours now and I'm still waiting.

Valued Pioneer

I found a solution that worked for me at least. Here's what I did.

In Finder, go to Go--> Computer 

Select your drive, then go to Users--> Shared

Right click on the H&R Block folder and click on Get Info

In the window that pops up, look at Sharing and Permissions at the bottom

My "everyone" was set to a Read Only privilege. Once I changed all of them to Read & Write, I reinstalled the software and it worked.

This idea came to me because I noticed that prior years had a folder in the H&R Block folder (I had a 2015 and 2016) but no 2017 folder was being created. That gave me the idea that maybe something was preventing the application installer from writing to that folder.

I hope this helps others that have been languishing in limbo hoping for a solution.