DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

IRS says birth date doesn't match Social security

Trying to Efile and and getting the following error.  Your spouses birthdya doesnt match the date of the birth in teh IRS records. 

The problem is that when it says to review the date of birth , it says the value that caused this reject is XXXXXXXXX which is his Social security number and that the format should be mm/dd/yyyy.  I go to the form, and the SS is listed  in the right column and the birthdate below it.   

Everything is what is should be , and I even called the SS office confirm. 

Tax Pro

Re: IRS says birth date doesn't match Social security

[ Edited ]

Hi sdlevitt,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

I would double-check your birth date and your social security number on both your federal and state returns one more time.  Your name and social security number must be entered exactly as shown on your social security card.

If everything is entered correctly then (note that the social security office is not at fault here) but because your date of birth is incorrect in the IRS records then the social security office will need to update the IRS, and you'll need to request that they do so.  This can take several weeks, so you'll want to go ahead and print & mail your tax return so that it can start processing.  You will not be able to e-file until this error is corrected with the proper agencies.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

everything should match, so could the issue ibe with your software. When it submits, it mistaken the SS as the date of birthday. I have redone it several times.   This is on the background information worksheet.

Valued Pioneer

ok. stratch that..  turns out the SSA somehow deleted my husbands date of birth

Pioneer

My grandparents extended their return and now I'm using this software to help them file.  I am getting the same issue sdlevitt mentioned - Efile Reject Code:  32-FD-F1040-526-02.  Claims the spouses date of birth is wrong - then when you check "E-file Rejection Report" it claims you entered the SSN as the birthdate (when clearly everything is entered in the system correctly).

Anyone else find a fix to the issue "why does the system think I've entered a SSN in the birthdate section" and therefore get an e-file reject?

Tax Pro

Hi soccin24,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

This is an issue that stems from the social security administration having something incorrect in your information.  You will need to contact them and request that they find the issue and update the IRS.  There have been a couple of community members, including the previous poster on this thread, who have said that their birthdate was accidentally deleted from the system by the SSA and thus the IRS is mistaking the social security number for the birthdate when electronically filing.

You will not be able to e-file this return, at least not for a while.  It can take several weeks for the SSA to correct this type of error.  You can however print and mail your tax return to the IRS in order to get processing started.  If the IRS needs anything from you, such as proof of your birthdate or SSN they will send a letter in the mail requesting whatever it is that they need.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Louis - I had my gma call the SSA - they have the correct birthdate on file - as well as SSN.  She has never had trouble e-filing for the past umpteenth years they began e-filing.

Could the latest HR Block update have tweaked something that caused the e-file / XML to read the SSN box as the birthdate?  Could the IRS system be messed up (I can't get a hold of anyone there - seems like they are all on vacation).

I've googled and realize people have had the issue with the SSA messing up birthdates before - but this has never been a problem for them and the SSA has the correct information - so why an issue now??