DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

How to utilize this software to account for working and living in two differnt states?

how does the software know that I work and reside in two different states?

thanks in advance

Trusted Council Member

Re: How to utilize this software to account for working and living in two differnt states?

Hi yurtfamily,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You'll answer questions in the beginning of the interview in the software about your resident state.  Also, your W-2 will show where you worked.  The appropriate state returns should generate from that automatically as you fill out the federal return.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer

Re: How to utilize this software to account for working and living in two differnt states?

appreciate the info and reply...

related query....needing 2 state returns, did I mess up and install 1 before the interviews? as now the program wants to charge me 39.95 for ANOTHER state return...

having the DELUXE version, doesn't that get me STATE filing (FREE)...even if I need 2 state returns?

Associate (Pioneer)

Yurtfamily,

The deluxe program allows you to e-file your federal for free, but not your state.

Vanessa
Social Media Rep, Kansas City, Mo
Valued Pioneer

thank you!!

is there an 'upgrade' that would make needing 2 states better then buying the other one for 39.95

hey , don't mean to be cheap...but guess WHO ELSE will be getting $$ from me!??! Smiley Happy

hopefully not TOO MUCH!

Associate (Pioneer)

Yurtfamily,

Unfortunately even with the premium and/or self-employed software the cost of state is still the same. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

Vanessa
Social Media Rep, Kansas City, Mo