DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-01-2018
Accepted Solution

How to report pre-tax 401(k) rollover to Roth IRA

I left my previous employer in 2016 and directly rolled my pre-tax 401(k) to a Roth IRA in January 2017.  I received my 1099-R from the 401(k) administrator for 2017 and it has $0 in 2a, it was a total distribution with code G in box 7.  When I entered the form into the software it is saying I owe nothing in taxes which I know is wrong.  How do I report this rollover correctly in the software?

Associate (Pioneer)
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎01-08-2018

Re: How to report pre-tax 401(k) rollover to Roth IRA

Hello cwcmind,
Welcome to H&R Block Community.
According to the Rollover Chart found on this IRS website (, it shows that when a Qualified Plan (pre-tax), such as a 401(k) plan, gets rolled over into a Roth IRA, it must be included in income.
Therefore, you have to contact the 401(k) administrator to issue a corrected 1099-R form to reflect a taxable amount in box 2a along with a proper code in box 7, if applicable. Once you received this corrected 1099-R form, enter it in the tax program to report the taxable amount on the 2017 tax return.
If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help.
Tax Research Specialist