DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Re: How to edit prior year's(2015) AGI number in this year's(2016) rejected tax return(E-file)

Editing my AGI for 2015 is not my issue - I don't have the correct AGI for efiling my federal return. I used H&R Block software last year, but the the program says there is a string error, and the IRS pages say they will show me my return from last year, but does not recognize my cell phone number - really?

So, in my case I am getting refunds from fed and state, so I must wait for the AGI number from the IRS for up to 10 days. Can I file late and not be penalized or should I file for an extension today?      Thanks.

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: How to edit prior year's(2015) AGI number in this year's(2016) rejected tax return(E-file)

Hi WhovianZorker - 

To clarify your issue, are you trying to edit the prior-year (2015) AGI that was incorrectly imported into your 2016 return? If so, follow the steps below: 

1. Click the Forms menu at the top of your return. 
  2. Choose Open Forms.
  3. In the forms list, double click Last Year's Data Worksheet to open that form. 
  4. Enter the correct AGI from your prior-year return on line 4(a) of this worksheet. 
  5. Click Close X to exit this worksheet. 

There is no need to override the entry using these steps - simply delete the incorrect AGI from field 4a and enter the correct AGI . Please be sure to reference the prior-year return you filed with the IRS to verify this number. You'll see the updated AGI as you walk through steps to file your return. 

If I misunderstand the issue, please provide more detail on what you are trying to do within the desktop software so I can provide further instruction. 

Thanks,

Rachael 

H&R Block Associate

Pioneer

I've looked at the data in AGI and PIN in the Last Year's Data Worksheet, and both are correct.  2015 is a return that was eFiled with HR Block and never amended.  So how could 2016 possibly be rejected because the AGI doesn't match?