DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Trusted Pioneer
Accepted Solution

How to edit prior year's(2015) AGI number in this year's(2016) rejected tax return(E-file)

[ Edited ]

Hi experts,

I bought a 2016 Hrblock 2016 deluxe+ state.

Yesterday night my Federal return was rejected(E-File). I have narrowed down the reason to incorrect past year's AGI.

The way I got my last year's AGI was by uploading the prior year's(2015) H&rblock file to this year's software. Got an incorrect AGI because last  year(2015) I created multiple attempts for filing. When I imported last year's return file to this year's filing software(2016), I incorrectly selected a  file that I did not transmit to IRS & missed selecting the correct one. 

Now, the problem is

1. When I try to change the AGI for federal the software says "Since you filed with us last year, we've already entered this for you" , & there does not seem to be any way to edit this number.
  2. I don't seem to find a way to UNIMPORT last year's file either when I go back to the beginning of the return to try to edit it.
  3. If I want to start a return again(2nd attempt) & since my 1st return is in the rejected state,  can I start a new one without having to buy e-file again for the STATE? (Federal should be covered because I have 5 free filings)

Is there any way to fix 1 or 2 above?

Thank you all for reading! 

Trusted Pioneer

Re: How to edit prior year's(2015) AGI number in this year's(2016) rejected tax return(E-file)

[ Edited ]

There is a solution on the Tax Software support page for the problem(i.e. edit the previous year's AGI number if imported) above, however that does not seem to be working for the MAC version of the software

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: How to edit prior year's(2015) AGI number in this year's(2016) rejected tax return(E-file)

Welcome to the H&R Block Community!

Please follow the steps below to update the imported 2015 AGI:

1. Click Forms in the top right corner.
  2. Select Show Forms with Data.
  3. Select Last Year's Data Worksheet.
  4. Click Open Form.
  5. Edit the incorrect information:
    • Prior Year AGI: Line 4
    • Prior Year PIN: Line 80
  6. Close the Forms window.
  7. Complete the filing process.
Jeff
H&R Block Associate
Associate (Pioneer)

[ Edited ]

Hi taxQuestioner20 - 

Please follow the steps provided by Jeff to correct your prior-year AGI. 

As for your third question, there's no need to start your return again for this issue, but for future reference, your card is only charged once for each return e-filed and accepted by your state taxing authority. If you see any additional charges pending on your card when you re-file your return, please be assured these are only pre-authorization charges, and will drop off within a few business days (dependent on your financial institution). 

If you need additional assistance, please contact our software Product Support team at 1-888-482-9288. 

Thanks for choosing H&R Block!

Rachael

H&R Block Associate

Trusted Pioneer

Thanks @Jeff_C

Trusted Pioneer

Thanks RachelP

Pioneer

I just had the same issue and figured out the solution -

Go to the File pages where it has the AGI grayed out.

Right click on the field and select OVERRIDE... (or use CTRL-O

You will then be able to override the filed and put in whatever you want.  Use the Checkboxes in that dialog as needed.

**** HR BLOCK - ENHANCEMENT REQUEST ****

Pioneer

I just had the same issue and figured out the solution -

Go to the File pages where it has the AGI grayed out.

Right click on the field and select OVERRIDE... (or use CTRL-O

You will then be able to override the filed and put in whatever you want.  Use the Checkboxes in that dialog as needed.

**** HR BLOCK - ENHANCEMENT REQUEST ****

When a user clicks on a grayed out field, put some text to "right click on the field and choose override if that was your intent"

Pioneer

This process does not seem to be working for me. I am using Deluxe Federal + State on a Macintosh running 10.7.5.

The IRS managed to lose everything in the envelope I sent last year except for the check and voucher, so as of December 9, 2016 (or whatever the cutoff date was), the IRS considered my 2015 AGI to be zero.

Here is my experience:

1. Click Forms in the top right corner.

All forms are listed; all show Final in the Status column.

2. Select Show Forms with Data.

This option is already selected.

3. Select Last Year's Data Worksheet.

Successful.

4. Click Open Form.

Successful.

5. Edit the incorrect information:

• Prior Year AGI: Line 4

Actually, this is on line 4a. I was able to change the value to 0, but when I clicked in another box, the value returned to the original. When I right-clicked, the Override… menu option was grayed out. I tried the Mark Entry Tentative option, which didn't seem to do anything, and I thought I switched it back with the Unmark Entry Tentative (or whatever it was) before closing.

But now, when I open up the form again, there is an asterisk inside the box (probably to indicate the figure is tentative) and I cannot edit the figure in the box (it switches to left-justified when I click in it like other boxes, but does not highlight the text) or bring up a contextual menu with a right-click.

• Prior Year PIN: Line 80

Actually, this is line 77, and there are two boxes, which are blank. (At least that is correct.)

Any suggestions? Am I going to have to start all over and change the AGI before I file my "first" try this time so it doesn't get locked?

Pioneer

Apparently, there is only a 30-minute window to edit a message….

I tried starting a new return, and that won't work either. I can use Ctrl + O to change the value to anything as little as a dollar with some fiddling, but it will not accept zero.

I click in the box, Ctrl +O, key 0, tab out of the field, and see the alert "0 is not a valid number."

I key 1, tab out of the box, and it shows 1. I return to the box, key 0, tab out, and it replaces the number with the original value from before I started changing it.

It looks like I can't import last year's at all if I want  to be able to e-file. (Or who knows, maybe that won't work either. Maybe I will have to seek a refund and buy different software instead.)